.5" mdf for a single 8" sub?

evil_lies

Texas
I just got a quad cab Dodge Ram and I want to put a small sub in the storage area under the back seat. I'm trying to keep the box compact. Would .5" mdf be ok for a small sub or will it fall apart? I'm looking at a Tang Band W8-740P. I'm not set on that sub though. The tang band would only be fed like 300 watts.

I just got a quad cab Dodge Ram and I want to put a small sub in the storage area under the back seat. I'm trying to keep the box compact. Would .5" mdf be ok for a small sub or will it fall apart? I'm looking at a Tang Band W8-740P. I'm not set on that sub though. The tang band would only be fed like 300 watts.
If it’s put together well and sealed really good it should work ..look at factory enclosure they are usually if not always thin plastic ..a bazooka tube thin plastic ..the 1/2” is way thicker ...than those ..now the 3/4 would be better

Cool. I know I'm really only saving .5". I'm haven't measured how deep I can go. It has a fold out floor that I would like to keep so if I want to keep it as small as I can.

Cool. I know I'm really only saving .5". I'm haven't measured how deep I can go. It has a fold out floor that I would like to keep so if I want to keep it as small as I can.
Fiberglass is the way to go with the storage portion. I use the FoxBox in two of mine and I cannot complain. I had sealed setups previously and they were underwhelming.

Double up on the 1/2". Even a little power to a single 8" enclosure, your gonna find it difficult to put screws thru due to the board thiness vs. 3/4".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.