5 channel amplifier recommendation (first install job!)

danielnews

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hi everyone,

First post here!

I'm retrofitting my 1995 Toyota Corolla Wagon and wanted to get some advice from someone not trying to sell me something!

So far I've replaced the factory speakers (4 X 4 inch speakers) with Polk DB 401s, and I also picked up an enclosed JL-12, 12" sub. The head unit I have is this cool vintage JVC cassette receiver head (8 watts front, 22 watts rear). I was considering just picking up a 5 channel amplifier to run the speakers and the sub. When I went to the install shop the guy was trying to tell me that I would blow my speakers if I installed an amp with 4 inch speakers, though looking at the specs the continuous rms on the amp I was looking at (Skar 600.5) for the speaker channels is 60 watts, while the Polk speakers have a peak RMS at 135 Watts. Am I heading in the right direction to think that a 5 channel amp would work for my current set up? Any advice or best configuration advice would be much appreciated! Ideally I'm looking for a really simple setup without too much alteration to the panels, etc. of the vehicle! Also, I'm all about the budget-quality!

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 272
That’s total booshit! Set your amp gains properly and you’ll be fine. That skar amp will work. the 12w0 is a single 4 ohm so an amp that delivers a bit more juice will be good to combat rise. That said i like the gm-9705 from pioneer as it will give you 350 and likely a bit more at 4 ohms on that fifth channel.

where I might be concerned is the quality signal out of that “vintage” tape deck. Does it have rca preouts and what is the voltage and second, does it have any tuning/sub control filters. I know it’s an old ride but old mediocre gear for the sake of a look may result in less than maximized realized benefit from your doll hair investment

Much appreciated!!

Pioneer looks great. Was looking at the Skar because they run about $175 and seem to get pretty good reviews. Seeing as I'm running a pretty small speaker setup I was thinking not having too much power to the sub would be okay, considering I would most likely run it pretty low to blend with the other speakers range. Or would it be best to have it powered a bit higher no matter the speaker scenario? Not looking to blast the sub, more just want to hear some of the lower ranges on synth basses and stuff.

So the build of this JVC seems awesome -- I think they were $400-$500 at the time (c. 1990). It's never been used, it's 12V negative ground. Already I noticed a huge sound improvement/volume boost over the Kenwood CD player that was in the car; this is just running the JVC head without a separate amp with the old cracked out Toyota OEM speakers. It's designed to be complimented with the respective JVC amplifier released at the same time, so ya it has RCA out.

When using an amp, the JVC manual recommends running the front speakers straight out of the head using the 22 watt (back speaker) channel, and then running the 8 watt channel into the amplifier to run the back speakers/sub. What do you think of this set up if I were to get an amp? Would that mean I could get away with using a 4 channel amp?

I really appreciate it!

Dan

That’s total booshit! Set your amp gains properly and you’ll be fine. That skar amp will work. the 12w0 is a single 4 ohm so an amp that delivers a bit more juice will be good to combat rise. That said i like the gm-9705 from pioneer as it will give you 350 and likely a bit more at 4 ohms on that fifth channel.

where I might be concerned is the quality signal out of that “vintage” tape deck. Does it have rca preouts and what is the voltage and second, does it have any tuning/sub control filters. I know it’s an old ride but old mediocre gear for the sake of a look may result in less than maximized realized benefit from your doll hair investment

Amplify everything, that 22watts is probably
More like 10 watts, give the polks some juice. I’d put 350 on that sub before 200 to factor rise.

Last edited:
Nice, thank you. Considering that little Pioneer you suggested now. Only thing is, the Cassette Receiver only has one Line out for RCA's (says line out, not SW out). Wondering if this would fub up things if I split up the signal... this would take away fade, no? Would you just split the RCA in this scenario, or think about getting a line output converter?

Ah, I guess I could get a couple of Speaker wire-->RCA adapters to connect OG speaker wire harness thrus to the RCA IN of the amp, and then run another signal for sub out of the LINE OUT RCA of the receiver. (?)

Lolz, yoo it's not just about the look! I have a tape collection. I got it all figured out! The head unit has a "CD player" aka Discman input aka aux input built in. I'm running a bluetooth receiver into that. Best of both worlds!!!

I like the idea of your setup. Old school tapes, not having instant skip/rewind. I remember when buying a tape was an adventure of it's own. Had to be mostly good tracks or you'd get a crappy song in the most inopportune moment. Imo I would do like BCotrell said, amp it all up and set your gains right. Now pop in some Billy Idol and cruise.

I like the idea of your setup. Old school tapes, not having instant skip/rewind. I remember when buying a tape was an adventure of it's own. Had to be mostly good tracks or you'd get a crappy song in the most inopportune moment. Imo I would do like BCotrell said, amp it all up and set your gains right. Now pop in some Billy Idol and cruise.
Rebel yell full tilt!!! No joke though whenever I get a new system I always throw on eyes without a face to hear how it will sound.

Haha! Eyes Without a Face -- Fav. Billy Idol song by far! My first tape on this speaker system was Black Uhuru -- Anthem. Heard all sorts of dubby stuff I never heard before. Appreciate you guys, think I'll grab that amp n figure it out

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.