5 channel amp recommendations under $400

bumfoozled

Hi,

I am a newbie to the forum, lots of old school knowledge but new stuff is lacking. Tell you what I have now and what I need / want. 2011 Silverado crew cab. Pioneer Avic H.U., just bought 2 sets of new old stock Cerwin Vega V series 465c 6.5" components to replace the crap Kicker 6.5's coaxials in the doors. What can I say, I used to love my old red ring cerwins back in the day and got a hell of a deal on these. Will be installing in next couple days. JL w1-v3 single 10", JVC KS-AX 3205D 5 channel RMS 50x4, 200x1. I am not at all impressed with the JVC amp, and want to provide more power to the new CV's in the doors anyway (rated for 100w RMS) so the mid bass will come on out. Anyone have a suggestion on a good, $400 and lower 5 channel that will do the job? Looking for at least 75w x 4 and 200 x 1 @ 4 ohms. Also don't really know if I should be looking for a A/B or D class amp. Back in my time there was no class D. Looked at several different ones, just don't know what to choose. If I wanted to spend $500 + I would have already bought the JL XD series.

Thanks in advance

Used to love older PPI stuff, but haven't heard too much good lately, as far as powerbass, have a friend who has had lots of probs. Looking at the Cerwin Vega V1100.5 amp. RMS @4ohms 80x4 / 350 x 1. About the closest I've found on what I need power wise. THD is pretty low as well. Can't find any reviews or info other than Cv's website all I know is that they are a sister co. of Diamond Audio and can't find much info on them. Jet.com $277.09 with new user discount. Anybody have any thoughts before I pull the trigger?

You could always go for the 3 ch amp too, massive audio nx3 which I currently have, will install it this summer. It's 120x2 into 4 ohms and double that power into 2 ohms. Sub ch is the same amount as the nx5 which is 800 into 1 ohm. You could split the power of the 2 ch 's for the other pair of speakers. I got it new for 150 bucks shipped to my doorstep.

You could always go for the 3 ch amp too, massive audio nx3 which I currently have, will install it this summer. It's 120x2 into 4 ohms and double that power into 2 ohms. Sub ch is the same amount as the nx5 which is 800 into 1 ohm. You could split the power of the 2 ch 's for the other pair of speakers. I got it new for 150 bucks shipped to my doorstep.
Ahh! decisions, decisions. I've been researching for two solid nights now thought I found the one with the CV and now you bring this one to my attention. I like the fact that it is a class AB instead of a D. That means cleaner sound right? Be running everything @ 4 ohms, and this one (5 channel) would put more power to my doors but a little less to the sub. But 200w is plenty on my single 10. Do they need a lot of air to breathe? (do they get hot). Current mounting spot is under the rear seat back in the Silverado.

Just bought the NX5. Made a best offer on ebay for 250 (accepted). Read a lot of great reviews on it and I cant find a one on the Cerwin Vega, so I'm pretty confident in purchase. Thanks Boomin' Tahoe for opening my eyes to the Massive Audio line. Feel a lot more comfy with a class AB anyway being that I am from the old school. Hopefully be here by the weekend and I can ditch this JVC DRVN amp. About sick of it cutting out any time I try to drive it remotely hard.

want a good amp thats going to sound awesome or just an average amp? whats your budget?well for 400 bucks your gonna get some junk..
You just need to shutup. Plenty of amps out there around 400 bucks that are quality worthy.

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Just bought the NX5. Made a best offer on ebay for 250 (accepted). Read a lot of great reviews on it and I cant find a one on the Cerwin Vega, so I'm pretty confident in purchase. Thanks Boomin' Tahoe for opening my eyes to the Massive Audio line. Feel a lot more comfy with a class AB anyway being that I am from the old school. Hopefully be here by the weekend and I can ditch this JVC DRVN amp. About sick of it cutting out any time I try to drive it remotely hard.
Good choice!

lmk if you got any questions on that amp or need help.

You just need to shutup. Plenty of amps out there around 400 bucks that are quality worthy. 

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Good choice!

lmk if you got any questions on that amp or need help.
you dont have a clue what makes a good amp. and that cheap chineese **** he bought isn't.

any good 100x4 with a 200/400 amp will cost over 400 hell most good 100x4s are 400 bucks..

you dont have a clue what makes a good amp. and that cheap chineese **** he bought isn't.any good 100x4 with a 200/400 amp will cost over 400 hell most good 100x4s are 400 bucks..
Oh I do. You don't know when to keep your mouth shut sometimes. How do you know the nx5 is crap? Have you owned one? Bench test it? Mess around with it? No ok then shut ya mouth.

If you want, I'm sure he'd be ok with it if you bought him a "better" amp. Not everyone is rich ya know. People post max dollar amount for a reason.

Oh I do. You don't know when to keep your mouth shut sometimes. How do you know the nx5 is crap? Have you owned one? Bench test it? Mess around with it? No ok then shut ya mouth.
If you want, I'm sure he'd be ok with it if you bought him a "better" amp. Not everyone is rich ya know. People post max dollar amount for a reason.
Didn't mean to start a bunch of ****, Amp should be here by Monday and I will have it installed ASAP. Just for precautionary measures I already built a raised aluminum perforated platform with a small fan attached to a relay for the amp to sit on (better than carpet) also installing another small fan to flow horizontally (might be overkill but cheap insurance and it wont be seen anyway.) Read a few reviews that said these get hot, but that is expected out of a A/B amp. Some of you guys have to look at the TITLE of this post before responding. I had a $400 ceiling. I don't plan on building a competition system, look at the thread starter to see what I'm driving with it. Before I ever posted, I wanted to buy a JL xd 700.5 or 1000.5 but can't shell out the cash. I took the advice Boomin' Tahoe gave me, did my own research on the amp and made a decision. Right or wrong it was my call and my money. If I don't like it, vendor will return for credit and I will try another brand. Will post again with pics and review after install, but for now I am pretty confident in my purchase.

did u say poop?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.