magmaGT
10+ year member

Chicago
need some opinions

im looking to buy some 5.25 components, and ive narrow my choices down to:

kenwood exceleon

or

jl xr series

the jl are about 50$ more, but is it worth it? i kind of would like to stick to those two, just to keep it cleaner with other equipment in the car...

has anyone ever heard any kenwood compnents?

I have the JL XR525 Csi & Cxi & I love them!

They sound really sweet highs without the kind of harshness like the MB Quarts. The JL's have really big open sound unlike some others that I have heard, like the Alpine Type Rs or Pioneer Premiers if you know what they sound like.

The XO have nice functions but kind of ugly, IMO. You can adjust diff. levels on both the Tweeters and Mids and the CSi can also be configured to run Bi Wires.

Keep in mind that they are rated RMS 65W!. Don't run too much power to them or you will burn out the tweeters (a friend of mind burned out two sets of tweeters with a MTX 250W x 2). I think you can safely run them with about 100W per side with no prob becuz thats how mind is.

Thay are sort of pricey if you buy them on retail. I bought my sets from this Ebayer for $197 (CSi) & about $160 (CXi). His Ebay id: CarAudioWarehouse. He sells these all the time.

THe VR & TR are also really nice eventhough they don't have external XO. THe only reason I got the Cxi instead of a pair of VRs is becuz the XR & VR are not made in Germany.

I hope this helps.LoL

I never have a chance to hear the eXcelons, on display or installed.

I like the JL's cuz I have heard quite a few installs with them & they in general have real good sound and they mesh well with sub bass. There indeed might be better sounding components.

A lot of people don't like the JL's just because the fact that they are JL; you know, a big marketing scheme behind a product.

I myself used to hated their products, I've heard many JL 'One Note' sub installs out there. Kinda prejudge them without giving any credit behind the marketing ploy. But anyone knows that a lot of times these inferior sounding installs are the fault of the installers, or it could be bad selection of equipments or system adjustments.

I do want to give them credits for their end user tutorial. They have written many excellent tutorials (instructions) and published them on their web site. There are tutorial on many general topics as well as more product specific instructions like parametric eq adjustment and gain adjustment for their "slash" & "e"series amps.

I found these info useful in getting the last bit of power out of my amps.

Definitely jl audio components! Is that the only options your looking at?

Why are you limited to 2 brands? Check out the CDT HD's from thezeb.com

they are on sale for $150, dont know if they have more in stock.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.