4th Order Removable Panel Help???

Participant count
  • Participant list

SPLluminator
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
GR, Michigan
Hello all, I am currently building a box for a customer and I'm having second thoughts on my build design for the removable panel. Just curious if you all have pics of your removable panels so I could weigh my options. Here is the box (below) and the front will have 2, .5" acrylic panels so you can see the SA 8" V.2's inside. You can kind of see on the design but I was going to use 2 1/2" boards and laminate them after routing out a 3/4" lip on the top on so you can remove the acrylic. I am just curious if there are other/better options, Thanks!

I guess what I am really asking is if there is a way to bolt a board directly into the outside 3/4 in" board or will I have to have a lip to bolt to?

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with screws or nutserts in the edge of MDF is that edge penetrations are the weakest way you can fasten anything to MDF without glue. MDF tends to split if there is any outward pressure from a screw going into its edge so you really should have some sort of reinforcement around the edges where you're planning to install the nuts.

Also, I'm not so sure ½" material will be rigid enough to span that far without having considerable flex.

They are 8" subs and the acrylic is only 10x12 so I am not concerned about the acrylic flexing what so ever. I am however concerned with joining to an edge of mdf. I may just go with the original design and use a lip as everyone else does but I am still curious if anyone has any tricks they are willing to share.

I would glue 3/4" hardwood around the inner perimeter so it's 1 1/2" thick and bolt into that and use weatherstrip tape. Did a 10 12's 4th like that a few years ago and it held up fine.

I would glue 3/4" hardwood around the inner perimeter so it's 1 1/2" thick and bolt into that and use weatherstrip tape. Did a 10 12's 4th like that a few years ago and it held up fine.
Okay this was my original plan by laminating the 2 boards, one with holes 1 1/2" (So a 3/4" lip on each side) skinnier to hold the plexi. Just didn't know if anyone had any tricks up their sleeve or had seen it done differently or uniquely.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.