4th order or 6th order bp blowthrough design help

Participant count
  • Participant list
You can fit a 4th order for 4 12s in an S10 bed. Did a couple.

This was my buddies custom zv4 12s on a Taramps 20k. Did 155s.

4th 2.jpg

Can the ported chamber in an 4th order also be the port? So if the internal of the ported chamber was 20x16x60, and you left the enclosure open on the 20x16 side would the box act as the port?

This is a design I came up with, any help would be greatly appreciated. 4 cf sealed 9.2 net ported. Sub motors will be in the ported section. The port is the same opening as the ported chamber. Ported sides are all 2 layers of .75 birch and sealed side is single layer. Im gonna use 1.25" dowels for bracing.

Attachments

• 1019221010_Burst01.jpg
    1019221010_Burst01.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 51
This is a design I came up with, any help would be greatly appreciated. 4 cf sealed 9.2 net ported. Sub motors will be in the ported section. The port is the same opening as the ported chamber. Ported sides are all 2 layers of .75 birch and sealed side is single layer. Im gonna use 1.25" dowels for bracing.
I'd tune around resonance myself, a 34hz tune is not where I'd tune a 4th.
TBH... to get to 34hz you'd need about 60" of external port as you have it drawn up.

TBH... to get to 34hz you'd need about 60" of external port as you have it drawn up.
Speakerbox lite shows peak output at about 34 hz tuning. Peak output at 28 hz. Not sure if the how the port and enclosure work when they are the same size. The port is the chamber, not sure if it can be done that way?

Last edited:
Speakerbox lite shows peak output at about 34 hz tuning. Peak output at 28 hz. Not sure if the how the port and enclosure work when they are the same size. The port is the chamber, not sure if it can be done that way?
How do I know the resonance?

How do I know the resonance?
Model them up... I did.
I'd shoot for a 44-48hz tuning /w/ enough port area to make use of the output those X's have.
4ths should never be tuned under 40hz unless you want a wind tunnel and even then it'll sound like a5s imo...
Be sure to allow for output when porting but don't fixate on that. Musicality and output can be balanced.
The worst thing you can do is go big ratio /w/ a narrow bandwidth.
Maybe grab a design somewhere, build it/understand it and improve it eventually if you feel you can.
That design you put up is yuck... no hate... but unless you want a spl bandpass hitting in the 60's it'll fall flat when playing lows. Tune 45 or so for best results is my opinion.

Model them up... I did.
I'd shoot for a 44-48hz tuning /w/ enough port area to make use of the output those X's have.
4ths should never be tuned under 40hz unless you want a wind tunnel and even then it'll sound like a5s imo...
Be sure to allow for output when porting but don't fixate on that. Musicality and output can be balanced.
The worst thing you can do is go big ratio /w/ a narrow bandwidth.
Maybe grab a design somewhere, build it/understand it and improve it eventually if you feel you can.
That design you put up is yuck... no hate... but unless you want a spl bandpass hitting in the 60's it'll fall flat when playing lows. Tune 45 or so for best results is my opinion.
9cf ported, 4.5cf sealed, 240si pf port area, 45hz what do you think? I already have 2 x12s on a 5k in a 6 cf ported box tuned to 32hz and I do an 147.5. I would like to get into the 150s with the 4th order bp.

Sounds like it should bang, make sure that 240in2 of port is 22.5" long and adjust external port to hit volumes. Be very strict and accurate especially in the ported section. 1-1.35ft3 usually works for an X-12 in the sealed section.
On your power however I'd try a 11"x15" port 14.25" long and work out external/internal port/displacements... etc. That's with 5K input allowing for all factors I can forsee.

Last edited:
Sounds like it should bang, make sure that 240in2 of port is 22.5" long and adjust external port to hit volumes. Be very strict and accurate especially in the ported section. 1-1.35ft3 usually works for an X-12 in the sealed section.
On your power however I'd try a 11"x15" port 14.25" long and work out external/internal port/displacements... etc. That's with 5K input allowing for all factors I can forsee.
I'm gonna be using an 8k, do you still recommend the Same port size?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...