4 way setup?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrbadwrench
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Minnesota
I am trying to switch to an active front setup, with a tweeter and a midbass, coaxials in the rear, and one subwoofer. Would this be considered a 4 way system? Do I necessarily need a 4 RCA output head unit to make this happen? Also, I do have an mcd360 but it appears to not work for tweeters like I thought it would, so I need a head unit that will crossover tweeters. What is my best bet here? I'm thinking a clarion cz702 and I would have to just split one set of rcas between the rear coaxials and front drivers, then use the mcd360 to tune them instead of the head unit. Thoughts?

you're not full active with coaxials on a channel, .. you have 2 channels for the tweeters (OA240.2), 2 channels for mids and 2 channels for woofers (RA640.4) and drive the subs with the A7HC ..

move the coaxials up front in the doors, they will mesh well with the morel tweeters then put the Massive 6.5's in the back and it's a done deal.

Head unit: Sony DSX

Tweeters/amp: Morel & MB Quart OA240.2

Woofers/amp: 2 Eclipse SC6500 + 2 Massive Audio 6.5 + MB Quart RA640.4

Subs/amp: 2x sundown sa-10s subs + Cadence A7HC

Did some more searching and it looks like they make a head unit for what I want to do... but its over $1000. Not in the budget lol. Is there anyway i can make it work by splitting up rca's and using my mcd360 to tune after the split?

What your doing is just a 2 way active setup for your front stage with subs and rear fill.

3 way active is if you have a midbass, midrange and tweeter up front. I'm guessing your doing all the crossover settings by amp, not sure if your head unit has active crossover networks.

grab 2 of these Amazon.com: AudioQuest Y splitter - one RCA female to two RCA male 6in (15.24cm) cable: Electronics or something cheaper if you want and it'll work fine, I like these because are solidly built.

actually since your two channel has a bit more juice, put the midbass on your 2 channel and the tweeters on your front channels of your 4 channel so disregard my pm about having the tweets on the 2 channel.

What your doing is just a 2 way active setup for your front stage with subs and rear fill.3 way active is if you have a midbass, midrange and tweeter up front. I'm guessing your doing all the crossover settings by amp, not sure if your head unit has active crossover networks.

grab 2 of these Amazon.com: AudioQuest Y splitter - one RCA female to two RCA male 6in (15.24cm) cable: Electronics or something cheaper if you want and it'll work fine, I like these because are solidly built.

actually since your two channel has a bit more juice, put the midbass on your 2 channel and the tweeters on your front channels of your 4 channel so disregard my pm about having the tweets on the 2 channel.
Thanks for the helpful information and the link. I plan on upgrading my sony HU to a clarion cz702 so I will be basically just using the crossover on that for my tweeters alone. So basically it would go Tweeters from front rca output straight to amp straight to tweeters. Rear Rca output to a splitter, to the mcd360 (for hpf) then to the seperate amps (lpf) then to their speakers, and sub from sub output to mcd360 sub channel (for extra tuning power, plus use of the wired bass remote, since my amp doesnt have one) to the amp then to the subwoofer.

My main questions with posting here were basically if I would lose any signal quality/power via splitting up the rear rca or not into 2 sets. It also appears as if the mcd360 will split for you. If anyone has run a setup with one maybe they can cut in and correct me. I read the manual for it and it makes it seem as if you can even run just 1 set of rca's into the mcd360 and output up to 3 sets of rca (Front, rear, sub). And the mcd360 also acts as a line driver, so maybe that will also help to correct signal loss from splitting the rear rca's to front and rear drivers?

My other question concerned the tuning aspect with splitting the rear rca's into front and rear drivers, as the fronts I obviously only want about 80-200 hz (i believe) where as the back, they will be coaxials used to fill highs for the most part, so i obviously need to be able to tune them quite seperately.

I am trying to switch to an active front setup, with a tweeter and a midbass, coaxials in the rear, and one subwoofer. Would this be considered a 4 way system? Do I necessarily need a 4 RCA output head unit to make this happen? Also, I do have an mcd360 but it appears to not work for tweeters like I thought it would, so I need a head unit that will crossover tweeters. What is my best bet here? I'm thinking a clarion cz702 and I would have to just split one set of rcas between the rear coaxials and front drivers, then use the mcd360 to tune them instead of the head unit. Thoughts?
A 3 way system is a 3 way component setup up front consisting of a midbass, midrange, and tweeter + sub. Most people dont include the sub when counting components so what you have is a 2 way active front stage, with rear fill (components), and a sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.