4" coiled motor comparison.

i have been seeing a good bit of confusion, and misinformation on different motors that do not share the same designers, or build houses.

from left to right in all the pics is a TRF motor, soundstream 1st genXXX, tc4hp, and tc lms ultra.

the trf has the following dimensions. slug od-10", top plate height-1.226", gap od-4.26", gap id-3.815"

the ss xxx slug od-10.75", top plate height-1.362", gap od-4.322", gap id-3.82"

tc 4hp slug od-10", top plate height-1.41", gap od-4.26", gap id-3.815"

tc lms ultra slug od-10", top plate height .535", gap od-4.328", gap id-3.82"

i know some of these measurements are very close, but these small differences drastically affect the performance of each motor.

in the pics it is obvious the steel shape of each motor is completely different. the trf, 4hp, and lms ultra use slugs that are the same diameter, and thickness.

the trf has a different top plate, and backplate yoke than the tc 4hp.

the ss xxx is completely different than all of them. other than a similarity with the trf on the depth of the pole flair, but the pole vent diameter is different, and it looks the slope of the flair is at a different angle also.

i can not remember the exact the date of the 4hp release as the sw9100 ti pro, which is the first commercially available version of the 4hp, but it was released no earlier than 2003.

back in 2007-2008 i use to spend a lot of time on roe, and then ssa trying to correct people constantly calling every 4" motor a 4hp variant, but i gave up on it, and the comparisons had slacked off a good bit.

but now this newer company tantric sounds which is owned, and operated by a guy that has been in the industry for a good while, and designed a lot of motors in the past. has brought out a new 4" coils motor, and people are going retard calling it a 4hp motor, and it is clearly not if you actually new what you were looking at in the first place, and hopefully this clears some of this up.

now onto some pics

View attachment 26538216View attachment 26538218View attachment 26538217View attachment 26538215View attachment 26538219

got some pics of the shd motor from tantric to add

View attachment 26538225View attachment 26538226View attachment 26538224

Last edited by a moderator:
ok this is good from a knowledge base stand point,but i dont see the point really??most of us on here know the differences.though,i have never used any of them (because everyone for some reason wants millions of dollars for them) so never could afford them.and im not bashing you at all,i mean you took the time to compare and contrast which is a good thing but again im confused as to why??

ok this is good from a knowledge base stand point,but i dont see the point really??most of us on here know the differences.though,i have never used any of them (because everyone for some reason wants millions of dollars for them) so never could afford them.and im not bashing you at all,i mean you took the time to compare and contrast which is a good thing but again im confused as to why??
They really arent much more expensive that some of the nicer 3" coiled motors.

I have my 4hp tc5200 for $200 plus shipping.

no problem. i guess i was not clear enough in the post i did this because as a tc sounds nut hugger it drives me crazy seeing people calling almost every 4" motor a 4hp when it is not the case. so i posted this to show the physical differences, and remember this is not even getting into the types of ferrite, or steel which can make a drastic difference.

if you still don't understand i really do not know how to put it any simpler.

They really arent much more expensive that some of the nicer 3" coiled motors.I have my 4hp tc5200 for $200 plus shipping.
ok well what about a 5400 motor? or how about the 12" trf's that went for like 6-700 each.even a blown SS XXX still goes for way more than $200.i mean im not expecting something for nothing,thats not how i work.but some people want mint prices on stuff thats not new nor is it new technology,i understand why some neo's are $1500+ per motor,thats mainly because of the manufacturing cost are sky high

I've owned a trf with the same pole flair as your 4hp.

i no longer have a tc5200 4hp, so i can not get measurement off it. if some one does i would like if they would measure it, as these 4hp's have a tighter gap than i remember my other 4hp's had which were from 5200's

and on these, the slugs have a very faded marker writing that says small gap, which i know they were a small handful of them made, but not as a production config.

Last edited by a moderator:
no problem. i guess i was not clear enough in the post i did this because as a tc sounds nut hugger it drives me crazy seeing people calling almost every 4" motor a 4hp when it is not the case. so i posted this to show the physical differences, and remember this is not even getting into the types of ferrite, or steel which can make a drastic difference.
if you still don't understand i really do not know how to put it any simpler.
i do now lol,besides the ferrite used mostly now is strontium ferrite,they (most companies) stopped using iron ferrite some years ago,and you are also right on the steel,ive seen stainless,ive seen high carbon,low carbon,ive even seen aluminum top and back plates with a stainless pole,the RE MX's pole is the motor its also a neo

I can grab a caliper from work tomorrow and check my 5200. You just looking for the gap size?
yea that would be cool, because i have been curious if these two 4hp's i have are two of the actual rare tight gap ones, or just some yahoo wrote small gap on them. i bought them under the impression they were standard gap, although older 4hp's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.