4 ohm vs 4 ohm mono wiring help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bass911
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Dallas,TX
I have a 5 channel amp. The fifth channel is rated 250@4 ohms and 500@ 4 ohms mono. How does the amp know the difference between the two? I'm guessing you need 2 4 ohm dvcs to get the mono load and just one sub to get the regular 4 ohm load? I'm trying to decide between 1 Re srx12d4 ported or 2 rtpro10d4 sealed. I'm not looking for the loudest, just want to add a little bass to my mothers car. I don't want to get the 2 dvcs if the amp is only going to put out 250 watts. I already know how to wire it for the 4 ohm mono load, but I was just wondering how the amp knew the difference between the two?

The amp will see whatever load you wire to it... To get a single 4 ohm load you need either: a single sub with single 4 ohm VC, a single sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils (wired in series), or 2 subs with dual 4 ohm voice coils wired VC's series / subs together parallel, or VC's parallel / Subs together series - either way will give you a single 4 ohm load...

The amp will see whatever load you wire to it... To get a single 4 ohm load you need either: a single sub with single 4 ohm VC, a single sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils (wired in series), or 2 subs with dual 4 ohm voice coils wired VC's series / subs together parallel, or VC's parallel / Subs together series - either way will give you a single 4 ohm load...
that's what I figured. I was always told that you needed 2 channels bridged in order to get a 4 ohm mono load. Maybe it was the usual Audiobahn misprint?

that's what I figured. I was always told that you needed 2 channels bridged in order to get a 4 ohm mono load. Maybe it was the usual Audiobahn misprint?
Well if it's a 2ch amp, then yeah... if you're only running a single 4 ohm load then the 2 ch would be bridged //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.