4 gauge power and 8 gauge ground?

GenY

CarAudio.com Recruit
USA
I was wondering if an 8 gauge ground wire would be sufficient when using a 4 gauge power wire pushing 1000 watts? Is this chart right? Says at 0-4 feet a 8 gauge would be fine? Just double checking if Im getting this right.

Attachments

• The-Formula-on-How-to-Find-What-Gauge-Wire-for-the-Amp.jpg
    The-Formula-on-How-to-Find-What-Gauge-Wire-for-the-Amp.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 287
Ah...well hopefully I haven't messed anything up. I been running like that for a few months. Thanks though.

I was wondering if an 8 gauge ground wire would be sufficient when using a 4 gauge power wire pushing 1000 watts? Is this chart right? Says at 0-4 feet a 8 gauge would be fine? Just double checking if Im getting this right.

Yes and no - depends on the length.

Ideally you would have the same gauge for both, but the size is dependent on the length of the run. As the wire gets longer the resistance increases therefore the gauge also needs to increase as you can see from the chart - longer runs need larger wire to carry the same current. Think of it this way - inside the amp, for the short runs between the terminal blocks and power supply, they rarely use large wire as the runs are so short.

Long story short - use 4 gauge if you have it however if the run is short (<2 feet) there won't be a difference using 8 gauge. Ensure your connections are solid, grounded to bare metal, etc.

-Eric

At a dollar a foot definitely not. My 8 gauge currently is 3 feet. I'll prob just upgrade it. Thanks for the advice.

A 1000-watt amp should be powered by a 4-gauge size. But the best cable to use is frequently determined by a number of variables, such as the class of the amplifier and the required length of the connection.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...