4 ga for just 50 amps?

Z1NONLY
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I am getting ready to upgrade my system by adding a 500/1 to my system and freeing up my 4ch for highs-only duty.

Reading JL's manual they say the 500/1 needs 4-gauge cable just for this amp....then they say it needs a 50 amp fuse?

Is this JL audio compensating for CCA cable or is 4 gauge (OFC) cable only capable of handling 50 amps of current?

I have been running my MTX 4244 for years on 8 gauge cable and that current-hungry class A runs two 25 amp fuses.

I was considering either pulling an extra 8 gauge cable for the 50 amp 500/1 or maybe a single 4 gauge for both amps, but then I read JL's manual.

I always thought a 8 gauge cable could handle 50 amps without drama on runs under ~20ft, but JL seems to differ.

So does JL mean 4 gauge CCA or 50 amps requires 4 gauge period?

Seems like rather thick cable for just 50 amps of current.

Last edited by a moderator:
4ga OFC for everything? Total of 110 amps with the zx460 running highs. (well, I doubt the ZX will get anywhere near 60 amps since it will be highs only and 4ch's @4 ohms each.)

4ga for everything? Total of 110 amps with the zx460 running highs.
Yes that's ok as long as you use some nice OFC. If you think you'll upgrade save yourself some hassle & just run some 0 or 2 ga now.

A friend of mine recommended knukonceptz' to me just today. It looks like they have some good pricing on their OFC 4 ga direct from them. ($1.55/ft.)

I plan on running 4 ga to the amps with an AFC at the battery and a fused distribution block at the amps, with short 8 gauge runs to each amp from the dist/fuse block.

I was going to ground with a single 4 ga into a block then split to the amps, but I will probably just use a section of 8 ga for the Kicker ZX460 (won't accept 4 ga anyway) and a separate section of 4 ga for the 500/1 ground. Rather than buy another block.

8 gauge should be sufficient for that amp. however, they may be compensating for the fact that the amp utilizes a tightly regulated power supply, which are typically less efficient than unregulated ones, especially when system voltage starts to drop.

WIRE

wiresizing.jpg

extra weight? You must have a slow *** car if you are worried about bigger wire slowing you down.
Weight is cumulative. No one goes out and grabs 45lb iron barbell and throws it in their trunk to race. It all adds up, little by little.

Not adding unproductive weight is a simple way to keep weight in check. I appreciate the idea of planning ahead, but I have no plans for for more power in the future. (The 500/1 already has more than I was looking for, but I got a great deal on it)

And "fast" is a relative term.

Weight is cumulative. No one goes out and grabs 45lb iron barbell and throws it in their trunk to race. It all adds up, little by little.
Not adding unproductive weight is a simple way to keep weight in check. I appreciate the idea of planning ahead, but I have no plans for for more power in the future. (The 500/1 already has more than I was looking for, but I got a great deal on it)

And "fast" is a relative term.
this^^^

i calculated my weight added...between wires, just shy of 30lbs, sub 46lbs, box 52 lbs, amps (3) 32 lbs, battery, 57.3 lbs..

add up quick. at 217.3 lbs... lost a good deal of power in a celica. cant squel tires between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd anymore. lulz.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.