4-Channel Amp Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

twister
10+ year member

Will a four channel amp be sufficient for (2) Infinity Reference 6012si (50WRMS each, 4 Ohms), (2) Infinity Reference 1011t silk dome tweeters (50WRMS each, 4 Ohms) and (2) Infinity Reference 9613i (100WRMS each, 4 Ohms)? I'm looking at an Infinity Reference 7541a which is 139x4 @ 2 ohms.

Can I connect two of the front speakers to channel 1, the tweeters to channel 2 and the rear speakers to channel 3? Will that even work? Will this amp damage my speakers in any way with the extra power? The way I understand it is as long as the gains are set the right way, then I'd be fine but I just wanted to make sure. One more question, I have a 4ga. wire going to a sub amp, would it be alright to run an 8ga wire in addition to the 4ga. wire to the battery that's already there and fuse it separately? Thanks.

Will a four channel amp be suffecient for (2) Infinity Reference 6012si (50WRMS each, 4 Ohms), (2) Infinity Reference 1011t silk dome tweeters (50WRMS each, 4 Ohms) and (2) Infinity Reference 9613i (100WRMS each, 4 Ohms)? I'm looking at an Infinity Reference 7541a which is 139x4 @ 2 ohms.
Just use your head setting the gain and listen for the speakers to start stressing and you should be fine.

Can I connect two of the front speakers to channel 1, the tweeters to channel 2 and the rear speakers to channel 3? Will that even work?
Not really. If you connect both front speakers to one channel and both tweets to another channel and both rear speakers to a 3rd channel, they will all be playing a mono signal and that will sound like total dog poop.

What you want to do is connect the left front speaker and the left auxillary tweeter to one channel, the right front speaker and the right auxillary tweeter to channel 2, and each rear speaker to it's own dedicated channel (one on channel 3 and one on channel 4). That way each speaker pair will be able to play in stereo.

Though why the need for the auxillary tweeter?

Will this amp damage my speakers in any way with the extra power?
It's possible for you to overpower the speakers with that amp. But if you use your head and set the gains conservatively you should be fine. And if you use any sort of equalizer (like one built into your headunit, for example), don't boost any frequency excessively.

One more question, I have a 4ga. wire going to a sub amp, would it be alright to run an 8ga wire in addition to the 4ga. wire to the battery that's already there and fuse it separately? Thanks.
Well, it would *work*. Depending on how big your subwoofer amplifier is, you may be able to just get a distrobution block and split that 4ga wire into one 8ga run for your interior speaker amplifier and one 4ga run for the sub amp.

Not really. If you connect both front speakers to one channel and both tweets to another channel and both rear speakers to a 3rd channel, they will all be playing a mono signal and that will sound like total dog poop.
What you want to do is connect the left front speaker and the left auxillary tweeter to one channel, the right front speaker and the right auxillary tweeter to channel 2, and each rear speaker to it's own dedicated channel (one on channel 3 and one on channel 4). That way each speaker pair will be able to play in stereo.
Thanks, I didn't even think of that.

Though why the need for the auxillary tweeter?
When I bought them, I figured it had to be better then the stock system that was in the car when I bought it. I was just trying to replace everything, I kind of rushed into it and now I'm starting to regret it.

It's possible for you to overpower the speakers with that amp. But if you use your head and set the gains conservatively you should be fine. And if you use any sort of equalizer (like one built into your headunit, for example), don't boost any frequency excessively.
Alright, I've read the gain setting tutorial but I have a question about it. When I'm setting the gain for channel 1, would I use 100 watts, the combined power of both speakers, or 50 watts?

Well, it would *work*. Depending on how big your subwoofer amplifier is, you may be able to just get a distrobution block and split that 4ga wire into one 8ga run for your interior speaker amplifier and one 4ga run for the sub amp.
My amp is an Audiobahn, its RMS is 1200 watts @ 1 ohm. It's loud enough for me but I'm sure it isn't getting anywhere near that, at least that's what I've read about them. Would it be alright to use a distribution block with it? I'd rather do that, I think it'd be a lot easier then doing what I had planned earlier.

Alright, I've read the gain setting tutorial but I have a question about it. When I'm setting the gain for channel 1, would I use 100 watts, the combined power of both speakers, or 50 watts?
In your case I'd do neither //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I'd set it by ear and listen for the speakers to start sounding stressed.

My amp is an Audiobahn, its RMS is 1200 watts @ 1 ohm. It's loud enough for me but I'm sure it isn't getting anywhere near that, at least that's what I've read about them. Would it be alright to use a distribution block with it? I'd rather do that, I think it'd be a lot easier then doing what I had planned earlier.
Eh....doing the distro block thing on 4ga power wire with those two amps wouldn't be the best idea, IMHO. You could replace the 4ga run from your battery with 0/1ga though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif (yes, 0/1ga is a little overkill, but not only would it guaranty you are "safe" now, but it'll be there already to support possible future upgrades).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.