4 channel amp overheats

>>SQL<<
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
USA
I just finished a system in my GF's car.

Pioneer Avic-Z2 Headunit

MB Quart PAB 4100 4 channel Amp

2 channels to the MB Quart Q series 6.5 componets

the other 2 channels bridged to a JL Audio 10w3 sub (SVC 4 ohm - I think havent verified)

After playing loud for around 30 mins the Amp turns off due to overheating

I would guess that it is the Sub that is taxing the amp hard, right?

I have another MB Quart Amp RAB 1450 (small D-Class Amp)

If I add the D class and just run the 4 channel amp bridged down to 2 channels running the front 6.5 do you think that would fix the overheating?

I have ran the D-Class Amp on this JL Sub in another car and had no problems.

I have owned the 4 channel amp for a few years but have never had it installed.

What do you think?

I'm willing to bet that your sub is not a SVC 4 ohm, and that you're somehow running the bridged channel at less than 4 ohms. If you have the extra D calss, run it. Will be more efficient anyway.

Are you w3's the new model?

If so, that may be your problem. That amp bridged is only good for a 4 ohm load. With 2 svc 4 ohm w3's, you would need to run them in series for an

8ohm load other with (in parallel ) you will have a 2 ohm load and that will heat that amp up.

Are you w3's the new model?
If so, that may be your problem. That amp bridged is only good for a 4 ohm load. With 2 svc 4 ohm w3's, you would need to run them in series for an

8ohm load other with (in parallel ) you will have a 2 ohm load and that will heat that amp up.
single sub i believe,

where is the amp mounted?

I wouldn't run a sub on a 4 channel, I've just had bad experiences with that. I would use that mono block.
it can be done and work pretty well, but 4 hcannels are a little more touchy and they aren't up to abuse

single sub i believe,
where is the amp mounted?
The amp is screwed to the back of the sub box.

It is just 1 sub

101_2725.jpg

101_2732.jpg

Seems that I should install the mono-block amp for the sub.

I was hoping to not have to rewire everything but I guess I need to.

If I could ask 1 more question.

Should I run the 4 channel bridged to 2 channels to the front MB Quart Components?

Or should I run the amp in 4 channels and hook up a set of MB Quart 6.3 co-axles in the rear?

I would run the 4ch bridged for the front and the sub on a mono amp. I doubt your impedance is too low if the amp plays for 30min. It's just being overworked.

The amp is screwed to the back of the sub box.
It is just 1 sub

101_2725.jpg

101_2732.jpg

Seems that I should install the mono-block amp for the sub.

I was hoping to not have to rewire everything but I guess I need to.

If I could ask 1 more question.

Should I run the 4 channel bridged to 2 channels to the front MB Quart Components?

Or should I run the amp in 4 channels and hook up a set of MB Quart 6.3 co-axles in the rear?
Ah, that is a DVC w3v2.

If that is a 4 ohm model, make sure that you have the coils wired in series. That will get you an 8ohm load other wise you have a 2 ohm load on that amp and that will cause your problem.

Ah, that is a DVC w3v2.If that is a 4 ohm model, make sure that you have the coils wired in series. That will get you an 8ohm load other wise you have a 2 ohm load on that amp and that will cause your problem.
I think you are right.

I have 2 more JL 10W3's on a shelf that are def SVC.

I had put this one in the box a while ago as this one did not match the others.

I am going to swap out the sub tomorrow AM.

If I can get this system to work properly the way it is (just 1 amp) I will be happy.

I really was going for a simple system and I do not have a garage so working in the 100 degree heat *****.

thanks for the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.