4 channel amp, 2 door speakers and 1 sub

rovertnamrod
10+ year member

florida
i'm looking at getting the mb quart onx4.80 amplifier (puts out 80 watts rms x 4 channels at 4 ohms). i'm also looking at the alpine type r components (spr 50c) for my doors, which put out 100 watts rms at 4 ohms each speaker. i'm also looking at the infinity reference 1260w subwoofer which does 300 watts rms at 4 ohms.

the amplifier puts out 320 watts rms x 2 channels at 4 ohms when bridged. i know i can simply use 2 of the amp's channels and power the 2 alpine speakers with those 2 channels, therefore giving each of the speakers 80 watts each. and i know i can bridge the other two channels into 1 channel and power my sub that way.

my question is instead of just powering the 2 alpine components with 2 seperate channels at 80 watts rms each, could i put both of those speakers on ONE BRIDGED CHANNEL.? again, the amp puts out 320 watts rms x 2 channels when bridged. i would like the sub to get one of those channels, and the two speakers to get the other channel. if i can do this, does that mean my 2 speakers would get 160 watts rms each, and my sub would get 320 watts rms?

(i'm not getting rear speakers and i know i may have to adjust the gain on the amp)

my question is instead of just powering the 2 alpine components with 2 seperate channels at 80 watts rms each, could i put both of those speakers on ONE BRIDGED CHANNEL.? again, the amp puts out 320 watts rms x 2 channels when bridged. i would like the sub to get one of those channels, and the two speakers to get the other channel. if i can do this, does that mean my 2 speakers would get 160 watts rms each, and my sub would get 320 watts rms?
(i'm not getting rear speakers and i know i may have to adjust the gain on the amp)
No. First off, running 2 speakers off the same amp channel will create a 2 ohm load (two 4 ohm speakers), and your amp won't handle that in bridged mode. Secondly, you'd lose stereo - both speakers would play the same combined L&R program. And lastly, the speakers are rated at 100 watts max, why would you want to power them at 160 each?

Stick to the original plan. 80W each is perfect for those speakers.

160 each just for "headroom." i would not actually give the speakers that much power as i would adjust the gain on the amp. but with only 80 watts, my speakers wouldn't live up to their full potential.

ok so if i give each door speaker 80 watts while my sub is pushing 300 watts, is my sub going to drown out the music with too much bass? i am just looking for a high sound quality, balanced setup- not extreme loudness.

Too many variables to predict which will be louder, but you can balance it out by adjusting the sub gain if you have to. Believe me, 80 watts per speaker can be rather loud.

agreed with Mylar. subs are less efficient, and our hearing is less sensitive so we need more power to subs than speakers to result in the same "loudness".

maintain a stereo signal to the fronts and bridge the sub - that is a tried and true method.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.