4 Chan amp install

Participant count
  • Participant list

tpmeredith
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I installed a memphis MCA-2004 4 channel amp yesterday, before installing it all the speakers worked running off the headunit...

Now only the front left works good and the front right is crackly, when I fade it all the way to the back I can hear only bass hits coming out of the back, even though the rears are set to HPF just like the fronts and not LPF, and tuned the exact same. All the gains are set fairly low

I've tried swapping the RCA cables (RCA and speaker wires are ran on opposite side of car as power lines) The amp powers on fine, however when I do change the filters for the back from LPF to HPF or flat I can hear the speakers pop fairly loud regardless of gain setting and if I'm even touching the switch for the filter I can hear a little bit of music coming out of it. I'm guessing it's possible the 4 channel is dieing/dead or in need of repair?

I can pull it out tomorrow and have it tested somewhere or inspect for busted caps / etc (Don't have another 4 channel to swap into it)

Admittedly I'm not the most experienced with car audio

I guess another step before pulling it out tomorrow would be to try plugging other speakers into the front left input on the amp to verify the wiring? Dunno, trying to see if I made any stupid mistakes but doesn't seem like it from my perspective

all deck and both filters on amp set to hpf?

how many sets of rca's do you have ? (there should only be 1 rca cable)

how did you configure the the rear speaker wires to the amp ?(bridge?or no)if bridged un bridge ..

post results

all deck and both filters on amp set to hpf?how many sets of rca's do you have ? (there should only be 1 rca cable)

how did you configure the the rear speaker wires to the amp ?(bridge?or no)if bridged un bridge ..

post results
Checked / unplugged / replugged in all the wires and the rears are working now with no interference

Only speaker that doesnt work is front right but I suspect rolling the window down messed up the wiring (not a lot of clearing in the door panel but I'll fix that tomorrow)

Easy to make silly mistakes in a 20 degree garage ;\

Sounds good so far though

Its not bridged and have 2 sets of RCA's for the 4 channel

Checked / unplugged / replugged in all the wires and the rears are working now with no interferenceOnly speaker that doesnt work is front right but I suspect rolling the window down messed up the wiring (not a lot of clearing in the door panel but I'll fix that tomorrow)

Easy to make silly mistakes in a 20 degree garage ;\

Sounds good so far though

Its not bridged and have 2 sets of RCA's for the 4 channel
2 rca's year 4 ch...well good luck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.