4 - 12" + 1200.1 = Power cap?

Originally posted by Larrydehp920r hmmm.....

Buy something that I know worked for me in the past

or rip my alternator out of my car and go without my car until the alt is rewound when I could have left my car in the stock condition and not risk anything else.

Las Vegas is for gambling. Not with my money. So have fun.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Larry:cool: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Take advice from Loyd, the guy who has a couple world titles and several other trophies under his belt, or take advice from some smartass who doesn't.......hard decision here.....

Hmm.. well the verdict is, dont get a cap, and get a cap lol, they **** but they work well..

Hmm...

Im not trying to compete or anything, i just picked up these 12's for dirt cheap. I just want a little bass. lol

Just wondering if my cars gonna die cause i dont have an even flow of power drain form the battery.

Originally posted by Larrydehp920r That is complete ********........caps help amps keep a steady flow of 14 volts that your amplifier needs when it needs it. I added one and it made my bass more accurate and alot tighter.

Larry:p //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif
lmao... It made your bass more accurate and a lot tighter?

Pardon me... I need to go back to the stoneage, whip out my tablet of AUDIO VOODOO, and re-reference this one...

Feel free to stop by my house. I'll blind a/b test you with a capacitor in your amazingly tighter system, and without it...

I know you won't be able to tell the difference, so please, don't try and argue.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

You see, this is where I add the fact that there is enough reserve capacitance in your amplifiers to COVER TRANSIENT RESPONSE DEMAND, but I think that'll get missed... So if I need to add a cap to the caps already in my amps, do I have to add a cap to the cap that is feeding the caps in the amp?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Originally posted by jlaine lmao... It made your bass more accurate and a lot tighter?

Pardon me... I need to go back to the stoneage, whip out my tablet of AUDIO VOODOO, and re-reference this one...

Feel free to stop by my house. I'll blind a/b test you with a capacitor in your amazingly tighter system, and without it...

I know you won't be able to tell the difference, so please, don't try and argue.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

You see, this is where I add the fact that there is enough reserve capacitance in your amplifiers to COVER TRANSIENT RESPONSE DEMAND, but I think that'll get missed... So if I need to add a cap to the caps already in my amps, do I have to add a cap to the cap that is feeding the caps in the amp?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
I know what I hear. I don't need you or anyone else to tell me different. I'm not going to go into this any further. It worked for me and that is the last thing I'm going to post on this thread. You know it all so go ahead and know it all. But one thing you can't do is tell me how my system did or did NOT benefit from a capacitor. Enough said.

Peace, Larry:rolleyes: :p

Originally posted by Larrydehp920r I know what I hear. I don't need you or anyone else to tell me different. I'm not going to go into this any further. It worked for me and that is the last thing I'm going to post on this thread. You know it all so go ahead and know it all. But one thing you can't do is tell me how my system did or did NOT benefit from a capacitor. Enough said.

Peace, Larry:rolleyes: :p
Our buddy larry sent this to me today... I love his powers of reason and manners...

Larrydehp920r wrote on 01-19-2003 06:28 PM:

Hey, why don't you just follow my name around all the forums and contradict whatever I say.??? Just ****off.

Obviously if infinity made a full range class d many years ago and not too many people know about it, it must be a piece of ****.

Enough said.

Larry:mad:
So what are you saying larry, you aren't willing to be dispelled of the voodoo of your magic capacitor? Such a shame... We are more than prepared to do a a/b test here for you... Whenever you are ready to broaden your horizons, feel free to contact me.

Caps....

the catalyst to a thousand bridges made and burnt...

come on, people..be nice..I was misinformed as well and had enough common sense to read most of the cap talk in this forum (yea, took me days to read it all) and I was convinced only after...

so..be nice...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

--------------------Ya know, I have read ALOT of CAP/BATTERY bulllsshitt in here. And I never posted a reply but just to give people food for thought, If they are used properly, a cap and a battery can help out a stereo TREMENDOUSLY.

------Think about this........a cap has a real fast charge/discharge rate, correct? --------------------A DEEP-CYCLE battery has a real slow discharge rate, correct? ----------- - - - - - - -------So, If you use a cap in between the stock battery and an aux. battery(in the trunk or whereever) then when the aux. battery does need a little bit of a boost it will take it from the cap and 9 times out of ten, it won't take a whole lot of juice from the cap at a time(due to the slow disscharge rate of the deep-cycle). AND if you replace the stock battery with a deep-cycle also.........(I think that i spoke my mind enough for one post).

--------But, all-in-all a High-AMP alternator is the best fix, although it can be pricey.

The problem is this... When you run your system at near FULL capacity all the time and run heavy bass songs, you are beating the hell out of your alternator and a cap does precious little (and can even hurt in that context since it's always trying to fill but the charging system is tapped).. If you run UNDER what your system can provide, and have OCCASIONAL hits in the music you listen to and see your headlights dim on OCCASION, a cap could well help you. It will help prevent the dim and will refill inbetween bass hits.. if your system is well under the charging system, you will gain NOTHING from a cap..

Caps probably do MUCH less listening to bass-heavy music (meaning LONG/CONSISTENT bass notes that **** the hell out of the alternator) than they do on music with occasional hard lows..

If you find that your stereo on full causes your lights to dim (and either stay dim or slowly get dimmer over time) then a cap will NOT do ANYTHING for you.. it is just another drain on your alternator //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

The best spending of money is to upgrade your POWER GENERATOR, not a very short/limited storage device.. I'd say that after your alternator, you might look into deep cycle batteries, but even there, you will be stressing the hell out of your alternator if it can't produce enough amperage.. Once you decide if you want something past deep cycle batteries, I'd suggest a custom 2nd alternator.. But that's just me..

So, can a cap do you some good? Sure.. depending on how marginally you are tapping your system's resources.. are there MUCH better ways to improve juice for your system? YES.. alternator upgrade (and making sure your wires are big enough)..

You can argue the miracles of caps till you are blue in the face, it won't change the reality that physics/electrical laws applies to your stereo..

so finally, is it safe to say that caps are alright if the electrical system is moderate and the listener doesn't give a pounding on the system all the time (i.e., about 90~100dB at the most?)

Originally posted by Savant You can argue the miracles of caps till you are blue in the face, it won't change the reality that physics/electrical laws applies to your stereo..
physics/electrical laws that apply to your stereo

------Think about this........a cap has a real fast charge/discharge rate, correct? --------------------A DEEP-CYCLE battery has a real slow discharge rate, correct? ----------- - - - - - - -------So, If you use a cap in between the stock battery and an aux. battery(in the trunk or whereever) then when the aux. battery does need a little bit of a boost it will take it from the cap and 9 times out of ten, it won't take a whole lot of juice from the cap at a time(due to the slow disscharge rate of the deep-cycle). AND if you replace the stock battery with a deep-cycle also.........(I think that i spoke my mind enough for one post).

--------But, all-in-all a High-AMP alternator is the best fix, although it can be pricey

Originally posted by ftgu physics/electrical laws that apply to your stereo

------Think about this........a cap has a real fast charge/discharge rate, correct? --------------------A DEEP-CYCLE battery has a real slow discharge rate, correct? ----------- -
not sure I believe a battery has a 'slow' discharge rate.. 650 amps is pretty **** fast flow of current (most batteries I've seen have 500 - 750 'cold cranking amps'.. meaning they can dump up to X amps for starting a car.. not a slow move).. Sure, it takes a while to re-charge a battery and a cap 'fills' faster, but it also has MUCH less total available power.. it's only good for a VERY SHORT surge before it starts to need refilling.. so if your stereo is putting a loooong load on the electrical system then the cap is useless..

- - - - - -------So, If you use a cap in between the stock battery and an aux. battery(in the trunk or whereever) then when the aux. battery does need a little bit of a boost it will take it from the cap and 9 times out of ten
This is against what you claimed earlier (and supports, to a degree, what I said).. Unless the amp is on the cap and not the deep cycle.. if the deep cycle is before the amp (after the cap) the draw still has to go through the deep cycle to get to the cap.. ..

it won't take a whole lot of juice from the cap at a time(due to the slow disscharge rate of the deep-cycle). AND if you replace the stock battery with a deep-cycle also.........(I think that i spoke my mind enough for one post).--------But, all-in-all a High-AMP alternator is the best fix, although it can be pricey
Like you say, the alternator upgrade is the BEST fix in almost ALL cases.. there is a VERY few times where a cap will help.. BUT, most people are under the impression that a cap will 'suppliment' their charging system.. which causes them to think their alternator won't blow.. and they get mad when it does...

Anyway, MOST times people don't need a cap, it just isn't a substitute for an adequate charging system..

Originally posted by paikiah so finally, is it safe to say that caps are alright if the electrical system is moderate and the listener doesn't give a pounding on the system all the time (i.e., about 90~100dB at the most?)
dB has nothing to do with it, it's purely the amprage draw from the amplifiers (plus the rest of the running car) versus what the alternator can provide.. Most factory amps run 65 - 150 amperes.. you can run more 'dB' on 150 amps than 65.. Just depends...

Originally posted by Savant not sure I believe a battery has a 'slow' discharge rate.. 650 amps is pretty **** fast flow of current (most batteries I've seen have 500 - 750 'cold cranking amps'.. meaning they can dump up to X amps for starting a car.. not a slow move).. Sure, it takes a while to re-charge a battery and a cap 'fills' faster, but it also has MUCH less total available power.. it's only good for a VERY SHORT surge before it starts to need refilling.. so if your stereo is putting a loooong load on the electrical system then the cap is useless..
Dude , do you know ANYTHING about the differences in a DEEP-CYCLE and a regular battery? For Instance..Deep-cycles are used on boats that don't have alternators. And can supply the cranking amps that it takes to start the boat(500-1000A or more), over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again without needing charged. SO....If you use a cap before this battery, when the battery does need juice(and it wont need much) it will pull A LITTLE from the cap(maybe a quarter farad in capacitance worth of juice). Which would not strain the alternator to refill.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.