4-10's..3-15's...1-18"?

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/551/world-record-1805-db-from-a-single-subwoofer

pretty sure some one got a 181.6 with a single DD 18

"being loud to the ear and being loud on a meter are very different situations, my friend.

do some reading before you post please. You're just digging yourself a hole."

i know i am right on this one. look at any sql subs. look at the Q and then the BTL. BTL has a smaller xmas so it can handle more power with out falling apart. it will not hit the lows as good as the Q because the Q has a higher Xmas.

(i know Xmas is not the onlything that has to do with the power handling)

or lets look at the BL and the Q because they ahve the same power handling. so from what u r saying is that if i got a Q and then a BTL the Q would be louder because it has a higher Xmas? not true! the BL wins not because it has a shorter Xmas but a different desing.

xmas can help is sql more than anything. it also can help is spl but not always. the design of the sub makes the bigger difference. and the cone area is key (taking out the factors of the car and box)

But if the 2 15's have very little surface area advantage over the 4 10's, but the 10's have multiple advantages such as a higher resonant frequency (more efficient at spl frequency), and 4 motors instead of 2, it seems like the 10's have an advantage.
I am still waiting to get a straight answer from someone who seems to know what they're talking about instead giving me the cut and dry "No replacement for displacement" comment.

Not to be a dick but to me it's more than just cone area and power...
What do you guys have to say about this theory?

To the OP, if you know so much more than everyone trying to help you why do you bother asking? Likely if you can't get whats going on here your install won't be up to par. So your dreams of going BOOM BOOM are most likely shat.

if u take a hdc3 12 and an hdc18 the 18 would be louder hands down.
duh.

the OP isnt debating between a a 12" HDC3 and an 18" HDC3, because he isnt retarded and doesnt need to ask such questions.

As for Dante's score, there are SOOO SOSOSOSO many more variables in that situation than you can even fathom. Far more intelligence, experience, and time than the OP, you, me, or probably anyoen on this forum can deal with.

to the original poster. If you wanna listen to this guy, go ahead. I, however, do not reccomend it.

Theoretically, the best way to put up high numbers is to have the largest volume of air displaced as possible while keeping a box that is suitable for the drivers. four 15's in a proper box will do better than 4 18's in a squeezed box in most situations.

you are going to want a setup that balances out your power and available space. Pick drivers that will maximize the output on the amp, while at the same time you do not want to waste a sub's abilities (dont get a 5000RMS sub with 1krms).

With your above setups, i reccomend calculating what has the greatest volumetric displacement (find the area of the cone, and multiply by its xmax).

From the sounds of it, you are not limited on room, so make sure you build a nice box.

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/551/world-record-1805-db-from-a-single-subwooferpretty sure some one got a 181.6 with a single DD 18

"being loud to the ear and being loud on a meter are very different situations, my friend.

do some reading before you post please. You're just digging yourself a hole."

i know i am right on this one. look at any sql subs. look at the Q and then the BTL. BTL has a smaller xmas so it can handle more power with out falling apart. it will not hit the lows as good as the Q because the Q has a higher Xmas.

(i know Xmas is not the onlything that has to do with the power handling)

or lets look at the BL and the Q because they ahve the same power handling. so from what u r saying is that if i got a Q and then a BTL the Q would be louder because it has a higher Xmas? not true! the BL wins not because it has a shorter Xmas but a different desing.

xmas can help is sql more than anything. it also can help is spl but not always. the design of the sub makes the bigger difference. and the cone area is key (taking out the factors of the car and box)
someone likes christmas

"the best way to put up high numbers is to have the largest volume of air displaced as possible while keeping a box that is suitable for the drivers."

this is also not true. i had an 18 and with the boxes i made it metered better with 8cuft than it did with 9. even though the specs said 5 to 10 it does not mean that 10 is the best. the best u can do is test out ur box but i don't think u are going to get into comps like me and others.

listen to what ever you want but the more cone area the better off u will be if u really have that much room.

To the OP, if you know so much more than everyone trying to help you why do you bother asking? Likely if you can't get whats going on here your install won't be up to par. So your dreams of going BOOM BOOM are most likely shat.
I am only trying to get someone to reinforce my THEORY.

This aint my first rodeo, just my first spl build.

duh.
the OP isnt debating between a a 12" HDC3 and an 18" HDC3, because he isnt retarded and doesnt need to ask such questions.

As for Dante's score, there are SOOO SOSOSOSO many more variables in that situation than you can even fathom. Far more intelligence, experience, and time than the OP, you, me, or probably anyoen on this forum can deal with.

to the original poster. If you wanna listen to this guy, go ahead. I, however, do not reccomend it.

Theoretically, the best way to put up high numbers is to have the largest volume of air displaced as possible while keeping a box that is suitable for the drivers. four 15's in a proper box will do better than 4 18's in a squeezed box in most situations.

you are going to want a setup that balances out your power and available space. Pick drivers that will maximize the output on the amp, while at the same time you do not want to waste a sub's abilities (dont get a 5000RMS sub with 1krms).

With your above setups, i reccomend calculating what has the greatest volumetric displacement (find the area of the cone, and multiply by its xmax).

From the sounds of it, you are not limited on room, so make sure you build a nice box.

Agreed.

Do you also that using more smaller woofs for a given cone size is better for spl:

1. Becayse resonant frequency is closer to test frequency, increasing efficiency.

2. Because you have more coils, and in turn more efficiency

These two factors should give you that extra bit of efficiency / motor strength to get a little more excursion and pressure (spl) from the same power?

Does that only make sense to me?

I am only trying to get someone to reinforce my THEORY.
This aint my first rodeo, just my first spl build.

Agreed.

Do you also that using more smaller woofs for a given cone size is better for spl:

1. Becayse resonant frequency is closer to test frequency, increasing efficiency.

2. Because you have more coils, and in turn more efficiency

These two factors should give you that extra bit of excursion and motor strength to get a little more excursion and pressure (spl) from the same power?

Does that only make sense to me?

more smaller woofers would be louder than few bigger woofers if the cone area was the same or close to it. in most cases because they are more efficent at higher tuned boxes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mugen08

10+ year member
Win aplenty
mugen08
Outside the box
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date