4/0 welding wire.

Alternator and batteries coming soon..How come when doing the bi 3 some people use a fuse between the alternator and battery? And some don't. Is this require? Today my brother brought me another 25ft. Of black 4/0. Can this size of wire be use for the amp runs?

Alternator and batteries coming soon..How come when doing the bi 3 some people use a fuse between the alternator and battery? And some don't. Is this require? Today my brother brought me another 25ft. Of black 4/0. Can this size of wire be use for the amp runs?
The fuse is preference with a little bit of safety. I didn't fuse my alt to battery wire cause its only about 1-1.5ft away from my battery. But if you had a battery and alternator on different sides of the vehicle, you have more of a chance of the wire shorting to ground (melting through, rubbing through, things like that)

Tractor supply sells big ring terminals. I bought a bunch of 3/0 terminals from car quest for the cheapz. Sky high car audio does as well. They sell fuse blocks for oversized wire as well. I would ALWAYS run a fuse on your power wires. Fires are not fun.

In other words I'm guessing it's OK to use 4/0 for amp runs lol. I'm gonna have to wait on the fuse holders till next week. $60 for one 2/0 it's more then I can afford right now.

Well yea. Its just bigger wire. Have no idea what amps or electrical you are running.Probably pretty overkill. Going to need reducers to fit into 1/0 amp inputs.

Get the ring terminal style fuse blocks for $8

You can buy heavy gauge lugs at a welding supply house. As for fusing the power wire between the alternator and the battery, it's a good idea. If your regulator fails, which is subject to happen more with PCM controlled alternators, the alternator can send in excess of 50 volts through the electrical system.

If fuses were $50.00 each, it would be worth it to me.

n66u5y.gif

Any body familiar with this ? I'm really close to the place that makes them or supply them. I'm thinking about getting some as fuse holder's I mean that's what they are fuse holders lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.