$300-500 component suggestions?

Brock79
10+ year member

NJ
I'm gonna replace my components in my 04 Cobra. Looking for 6.5 components. I caught a lot of flack for going with all JL in my Edge, so now im gonna be open to new ideas for the Cobra. Looking for something comparable to the JL ZR series in sound if not better. Not sure if anything in this price range will fit the bill, but hopefully something will. Gonna run them off the stock Mach1 amps in the car. I rarely drive this car and not looking to replace the amps, the HU is a pioneer, gotta go get the model # later, can't remember it right now. THe current component system is an old school set of MB Quartz before they were bought out, One of the woofers are starting to go.

Mid- to upper-end offerings from Hybrid Audio Technologies (HAT), Morel, Focal, Dynaudio, Boston Acoustics (as was already mentioned), just to name a handful of respected mfgs.... all would likely have to be used to fit into your budget, tho

I've heard the Focal Poly's recently in an audio shop here in Tulsa. The owner has them installed in his car. He's only got that little KTP Alpine amp on them.They are fantastic! I've heard people say they seem bright but to me they sounded perfect. Been saving up for a set ever since....

How are the morel maximo's? And also does anyone know how hertz and focal lineups go from top to bottom? I was also looking at a set of rainbows as well.

How are the morel maximo's? And also does anyone know how hertz and focal lineups go from top to bottom? I was also looking at a set of rainbows as well.
I have the maximo's for the rear 6.5 in co-axle variant, they sound good for what I paid for them.

Well its hard to say really what sounds good to you may sound like crap to someone else. Also the show room is a hard place to listen to a set of speakers and know what they really sound like because the soundboard in a show room is totally different than a car. I happen to like my tweets that have a slightly tinny sound to them but it might not be for everyone. When I first hooked them up they were way too bright back after breaking them in and adjusting the I love the way they sound. Really you just need to pick a pair and read reviews, if it doesn't seem like they wold be right for you, review a different set.

I am not familiar with the Match 1 amp, sounds like a car factory amp?

I would assume that amp will deliver no more than 50 watts per channel therefore you need efficient speakers of 92 db spl or higher, any speaker in the 400-500 dollar range is going to need good power. One set in the price range that is on sale at SE and may be similar if not superior to the Hertz HSK and the Focal 165v 30 is the DLS Ultimate UP6i, the only issue is they need at least 100 quality watts for the best sound, same thing goes for the HSK and the 165V, maybe the focals not so much but over 60 watts.

I know the lower end Hertz DSK and ESK, will sound better with less power, I heard the DSK with a 40 watt amp and they even sounded better than the most expensive ones at the shop, if that amp had 100 watts rms it would have been a different story. Thing to keep in mind expensive speakers only mean better sound if you give them the power they need. Hertz sells a lot speakers in Europe made to be a direct factory replacement needing no amp, DSK and ESK for that purpose.

Another thing to keep in mind is if the speakers sound ok at the shop, they will sound much better in the car assuming they have the right power.

I believe the mach1 system is 125 watts rms stock. The dealer list 1000watts total 500 of them to the sub and 500 between the other 4 speakers. Could be 150 per front side.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.