3-way system Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

acdcrocks0323

ohio
Hi guys,

My girlfriend's 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe w/ Monsoon sound system (after market HU installed) had a farty bass sound out of the passenger side woofer. I figured the midwoofer was ripped or just plain bad so I picked up some replacement 6.5 speakers (Silver Flutes) . I assumed it was a 2 way system with a midwoofer and tweeter. I take the door panel off and find that there is a 6.5 subwoofer, 2 inch midrange, and tweeter. This is all crossed over at the Monsoon amp. As far as I know there is no way to adjust the crossover range.

Here lies the big problem: I want the new speakers to play the range that the "sub" and midrange played. Getting a new amp is not an option at this point. So I am wondering if there is a way to "combine channels" so to speak? Is there any way to have the new speakers play the bass and mids with the existing system? Thanks for any help.

Edit: Would it be as easy as hooking up both sets of wires (the low and mid source) to the new speaker or would that cause problems?

What you're asking for will require a separate amplifier. You can't just combine two pairs of speaker wires off the Monsoon amplifier. It will not work correctly, and you will be worse off than you started. Get a factory replacement speaker from eBay and put it back to stock until you can afford the right upgrades.

I sort of figured that out through meddling with it. I think until my girl can get an amp, I'll just run it from the head unit and just bypass the monsoon amp.

I sort of figured that out through meddling with it. I think until my girl can get an amp, I'll just run it from the head unit and just bypass the monsoon amp.
Still a bad idea, but let us know if she likes how that sounds.

Pardon my ignorance, but why is it a bad idea? The HU has low and high pass filters and I can adjust the fader so the woofers and tweeters blend well. Is there anything wrong with that until I have a different amp? Besides the fact that the HU is only pushing 18 watts.

Pardon my ignorance, but why is it a bad idea? The HU has low and high pass filters and I can adjust the fader so the woofers and tweeters blend well. Is there anything wrong with that until I have a different amp? Besides the fact that the HU is only pushing 18 watts.
I typed up a response and deleted it because it's a bunch of theory. It may or may not work for you, but I really can't think of why it could cause damage. At worst it might sound bad, but that's assuming your girlfriend will even care. I'm not saying that as an insult, most people just want their radio to work.

You can replace the head unit on a monsoon system and be fine if you run everything else stock. In order to replace the speakers you must bypass or pull the monsoon amp or use special bi-amplified speakers. If you bypass the monsoon amp you must have a different head unit as the factory one is meant to work with the monsoon amp and special speakers iirc.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.