3 way active AMP CHOICES?????? need advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

jarodz06

CarAudio.com Newbie
So i have built my pods and purchased a dsp. My current setup is in a 2018 GMC Sierra crew cab. I have the current infinity kappa perfect 6 1/2 inch 3 way set up. Mid and tweet on dash in pod aiming toward dome light. Deadened doors for midwoofer. A fox acoustics ported downfire box with 2 Kicker comp vr subs. Factory 8 inch screen with PAC ampro running to the amps. my amps are a Kicker cx800.1 on subs at 1 ohm and Digital Designs D4.100a bridged running to passive xovers at the moment. My question is really on the DD amp. I already have one so i was going to purchase another identical one and run it on the tweets and mids and leave the other bridged on the midbass in the doors. I have really been looking at the Alpine type R a 90s staggered 6 channel and it seems to have some good specs but its another 300 bucks so i thought id see if anyone had any suggestions. I also stumbled on a Phoenix Gold ti3 with power shift but i dont think theyre all they used to be....i may be wrong. Two four channels.....One 6 or even 8 channel???? My budget would probably be 600 to 1000. Thats the kicker i can get another DD 4.100 new for 300 soooooo. I have purchased Dayton audio mic and teaching my self to tune with an RTA and i am really trying to get some great sound. Anyway thanks for any input. One last thing ...how bout the audiofrog 4 channel and digital or is AB class where its at??

Last edited:
If you like having matching amps may as well get another DD..

There is like 3 different amps that are the same as the audio frog amp and all 3 have different prices.

If you like having matching amps may as well get another DD..

There is like 3 different amps that are the same as the audio frog amp and all 3 have different prices.
Thanks for replying. Yeah the audiofrog has a super high damping factor as does the alpine. The DD not so much but it doesn't sound bad in my truck. I'm not huge on matching equip but since I know the DD and it is powerful I figured it should be a candidate. I'm thinking it lacks detail as far as like spacial imaging. Anyway I figured why not ask some other hifi lovers and get they're 2 cents.

Personally, I wouldn't bother running active without some signal processing capability.

I currently run an audison APF8.9 bit, but it's very pricy. Helix makes the v8 which has a build in DSP, I would run it just how I do my Audison.
Ch 1+2 for tweeters
Ch 3+4 for midrange
Ch 5+6 bridged to driver midbass
Ch 7+8 bridged to passenger midbass

You probably want at least 150w per midbass. I have 260 available to my midbass on the audison and 75w per tweeter and midrange.

Matt

Personally, I wouldn't bother running active without some signal processing capability.

I currently run an audison APF8.9 bit, but it's very pricy. Helix makes the v8 which has a build in DSP, I would run it just how I do my Audison.
Ch 1+2 for tweeters
Ch 3+4 for midrange
Ch 5+6 bridged to driver midbass
Ch 7+8 bridged to passenger midbass

You probably want at least 150w per midbass. I have 260 available to my midbass on the audison and 75w per tweeter and midrange.

Matt
Well I I did purchase a DSR1 from RF. I do realize it's not a bit or helix bit I got as a low cost learning curve tool. That way I figured I could learn to use my microphone and an rta to begin my trip down the rabbit hole for tuning lol 😆. I actually hope to end up with the Helix DSP pro mk 3 in the near future. I have 100 rms x4 and or 320 rms x 2 if I buy another DD amp. I had been looking at the r a90s from Alpine but thought I'd get a few opinions. What you have is what I'm hoping to get hooked up by this weekend with DSR1 handling the fsp chores and ditching the passive networks.

Well I I did purchase a DSR1 from RF. I do realize it's not a bit or helix bit I got as a low cost learning curve tool. That way I figured I could learn to use my microphone and an rta to begin my trip down the rabbit hole for tuning lol 😆. I actually hope to end up with the Helix DSP pro mk 3 in the near future. I have 100 rms x4 and or 320 rms x 2 if I buy another DD amp. I had been looking at the r a90s from Alpine but thought I'd get a few opinions. What you have is what I'm hoping to get hooked up by this weekend with DSR1 handling the fsp chores and ditching the passive networks.

If you have a DSP then any amp will work. I haven't used any of the DD amps, but those power numbers work well for just about any 3 way comp set.

First thing to do with your DSP is set up Time alignment. After that level match the left and right sides. Then work on matching the midbass/midrange/tweeter levels.

Look up "house curves" on Google. There are a few generally liked house curves and that what you want to aim for.

Matt

If you have a DSP then any amp will work. I haven't used any of the DD amps, but those power numbers work well for just about any 3 way comp set.

First thing to do with your DSP is set up Time alignment. After that level match the left and right sides. Then work on matching the midbass/midrange/tweeter levels.

Look up "house curves" on Google. There are a few generally liked house curves and that what you want to aim for.

Matt
OK great thanks for the input Matt 👍 I have just started looking at the Harmon house curve and getting into that information. I'm not gonna lie it's kinda awkward going into this "learning" but I have to believe it's going to be well worth it in the end. The question on the DD amps for me came with the damping factor. The DD I have is 100 and just as a comparison the audiofrog amp is 600. Although Andy posted a video on Audiofrogs site that states amps don't live and die by that number. Also....are you running all digital or D class or AB amps Matt? Thank you again for the input, it let's me know I've been barking up the right tree with my quest for knowledge and great sound 👌

OK great thanks for the input Matt 👍 I have just started looking at the Harmon house curve and getting into that information. I'm not gonna lie it's kinda awkward going into this "learning" but I have to believe it's going to be well worth it in the end. The question on the DD amps for me came with the damping factor. The DD I have is 100 and just as a comparison the audiofrog amp is 600. Although Andy posted a video on Audiofrogs site that states amps don't live and die by that number. Also....are you running all digital or D class or AB amps Matt? Thank you again for the input, it let's me know I've been barking up the right tree with my quest for knowledge and great sound 👌

I'm running all class D amps. My stage amp is an audison APF8.9 Bit and my sub amp is a Taramps Smart 5. Front stage is Hertz Mille Legend 280.3, 700.3, and 1800.3 speakers. With newer class D tech, it's just not worth the potential difference in sound reproduction with what you give up. My Audison amp is smaller than a sheet of paper and puts out 8x75 at 4 ohm, or 4x 260 at 4 ohm bridged, plus it has a build in 9 channel DSP, and optical input. If I were to run something class A/B I would need 6 times the space just for the amp(s) and I would need a separate DSP.

Damping factor is not something I put any stock into. Its in the same realm of "max power" in my opinion.

Matt

I'm running all class D amps. My stage amp is an audison APF8.9 Bit and my sub amp is a Taramps Smart 5. Front stage is Hertz Mille Legend 280.3, 700.3, and 1800.3 speakers. With newer class D tech, it's just not worth the potential difference in sound reproduction with what you give up. My Audison amp is smaller than a sheet of paper and puts out 8x75 at 4 ohm, or 4x 260 at 4 ohm bridged, plus it has a build in 9 channel DSP, and optical input. If I were to run something class A/B I would need 6 times the space just for the amp(s) and I would need a separate DSP.

Damping factor is not something I put any stock into. Its in the same realm of "max power" in my opinion.

Matt
OK well I thought the same after watching the Audiofrog video of Andy explaining damping factor. I have to agree with you as well on the D class amps. My DD amp is like 7"x5" and is 100x4 or 320x2 and 2 of them is smaller than my kicker cx800.1 and I personally think they sound good but question imaging and or staging but I don't think I have things squared away enough to judge them to harshly because they do put out a ton of clean power....especially for their size. I will reserve judgement until I get everything TA'd and EQ'd. Then if I'm not satisfied I'll go another route. For now I am going to just get another DD 4.100a and get everything hooked up and tuned properly....as proper as I know how to at the moment. 😆 Hertz is a brand I will be looking into if when these Kappa Perfects go south on me. I've ran Focal and Alpine R's and RF power series 1,2 and 3's. My little brother had high energy Hertz 6.5 on a JL HD900/5 and I really liked them. I've always heard the Milles had great midbass too. I like that Teteron tweeter also. Morel is also up on my list. At this point I have nothing but praise for these Infinity speakers!!!! Even passive the midbass is VERY apparent so I can't wait to hear it active!!! I sure appreciate you taking time to speak with me Matt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...