Amplifier wont work at higher volumes

Participant count
  • Participant list

rroeder

CarAudio.com Newbie
Okay so I have a Skar RP-1500 hooked up to two cheap 12s, I’ve had this setup for maybe 10 months now with zero issues, this last weekend the car didn’t start one time and when I hopped in it on Monday I realized my subs weren’t hitting at all. They’d almost pop when the bass hit, with the bass knob turned all the way down they’d work for the most part but I’m sure that’s just because there’s hardly any power going to them. The power light on the amp goes off when said pop happens and then repeats after a second if I’m listening to a bass heavy song. I wanna say something with the wiring but I cleaned the ground off and adjusted the power wire. Any ideas because I’m at a loss currently unless I have a bad cable somewhere.

Nothing was tampered with from when it worked last, came home Thursday subs bumping, key didn’t get turned til Monday and she fired right up as usual only difference this time was that the amp started acting up out of nowhere, so I’ve got doubts it’s the battery but you never know.

Nothing was tampered with from when it worked last, came home Thursday subs bumping, key didn’t get turned til Monday and she fired right up as usual only difference this time was that the amp started acting up out of nowhere, so I’ve got doubts it’s the battery but you never know.

Get a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery and amp. You could have the gain up too high and sending the amp to clip city and then into protect mode. Pic of amps settings?

Well, To be honest, it is Skar 🙄.
I had a good experience with my Skar amp when I had it but that was only for some months. I’ve heard from many that their amps are not reliable.

I went to Google a Skar sub and this was an option at the bottom. I was a little shocked. 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20220928-012154_Google.jpg

Get a volt meter and check the voltage at the battery and amp. You could have the gain up too high and sending the amp to clip city and then into protect mode. Pic of amps settings?
The amp settings are a ***** to get a pic of with how I have her mounted, I’ll try out a voltmeter tomorrow when I don’t work. Honestly scared that the other guy in the thread may be right, I had one other skar amp go out on me and this may be the same case.

The amp settings are a ***** to get a pic of with how I have her mounted, I’ll try out a voltmeter tomorrow when I don’t work. Honestly scared that the other guy in the thread may be right, I had one other skar amp go out on me and this may be the same case.

I try to steer people clear of the rp line of amps. The SKV line is pretty nice. You should look at the Sundown SIA line of amps. Steer clear of the SFB line. Cab and CT Sounds are also good options.

Were you really? Since when has Kevin done anything positive for the car audio community other than mass importing Chinese equipment with his sticker on it?

And who doesn't do that? A lot of companies do that. I know that Skar copies a lot of Sundown stuff and he used to be over there. I just thought that it was funny when that popped up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...