3 Ohms subwoofer on 4ohms amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list

asdasd

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello all, so i have a Alfa Linear AL320.4 (4CH power amp) in my car and i have a S-BD808SW which has 3 ohms impedance. Amp outputs 4 ohms when wired in bridged. So is it possible to connect the sub to the amp? Im afraid of blowing the woofer up since it still works fine. Thanks.

20190113_120000.jpg

20190113_120348.jpg

0IQftX.jpg

you wont blow the woofer if there is an issue, if anything youll blow the amp. that amp is very low end anyways, and if it dies, itll probably do you a favor in making you get a better amp

There should not be any issues running a 3 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm, as the resistance changes with different frequencies so it should not be a hazard to the amplifier provided your amp can handle to a certain low impedance.   Speakers vary in different frequencies during music so it fluctuates when used so that should be ok mate!

DSC_1130.jpg

There should not be any issues running a 3 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm, as the resistance changes with different frequencies so it should not be a hazard to the amplifier provided your amp can handle to a certain low impedance.   Speakers vary in different frequencies during music so it fluctuates when used so that should be ok mate!

View attachment 3739
key word there is should. If an amp is built to see a nominal impedance of 4 and you show it 3, the low end impedances itll see are way lower than what the amp is built to see and bye-bye amp. In his case, its probably for the best that it does as it isnt a known brand to the community and its not ideal for a sub amp anyways. Sorry to say man, your amp is probably gonna fry if you push it at all, and im not sorry to say that its probably for the best in your situation. Cheap mono amps can be had for 100 usd thatll kick the hell out of that thing for subs. Use that on mids and highs and be done with this question

key word there is should. If an amp is built to see a nominal impedance of 4 and you show it 3, the low end impedances itll see are way lower than what the amp is built to see and bye-bye amp. In his case, its probably for the best that it does as it isnt a known brand to the community and its not ideal for a sub amp anyways. Sorry to say man, your amp is probably gonna fry if you push it at all, and im not sorry to say that its probably for the best in your situation. Cheap mono amps can be had for 100 usd thatll kick the hell out of that thing for subs. Use that on mids and highs and be done with this question
Lol you don't the protection circuit will work in that amp?

Yeah I don't either.. 

Personally with that small set up I'd invest in a 5 channel amp and retire that amp all together..

Lol you don't the protection circuit will work in that amp?

Yeah I don't either.. 

Personally with that small set up I'd invest in a 5 channel amp and retire that amp all together..
im thinking that the amp wont last long even if it was ran on the correct impedance load. didnt he say that 2 channels of it were already dead in another thread?

Well, if you are unsure, you may need to find specs on your amplifier to ensure you are using it under the provided loads.  Most amps are stable to 2ohms but if you are confused about your amplifier then you may seek more details regarding your amp or visit a car audio shop and speak to an installer who may further clarify your inquiry and direct you to alternatives if there is a possible risk of damage to your audio gear.

Further, your amplifier is not sold in Australia so I cannot comment on the specs and safe operating instructions. :crying:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.