3 inch aeros for 15" Nightshade?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mattd0344
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Colorado
So I'm going to be building a new box for my 15" Nightshade. I've been hearing that it's optimal in 3 cubes tuned to 35Hz with 1500 watts. I wanted to do two 4" aeros but after dropping down in size, the ports will be just a tad longer than I'd like. I can possibly make the box deeper and lessen its width but I'd prefer not to. Would two 3" aeros work just as well instead? Thanks

Sorry to thread-jack but will two 3'' aeros be alright for the 12'' Nightshade in 1.5 cubes?

One 6" port, two 4" ports or four 3" ports will give you about the same amount of port surface area. I wouldn't run much less than that for a 15" nightshade.
even in just 3 cubes??? like right now my box is a little too big...4.25 cubes with two 4" aeros tuned to 33/34Hz

alright, i think that im just going to increase the volume to 3.15 cubes after displacement....decrease the length and increase the width and then ill have the perfect amount of room for the port to have some breathing room..(the recommended 4" from the back of the box

Ok one last thing....I'm thinking about swapping out different ports when it comes to competition time. Would an increase from 35Hz (its daily tuning) to around 46Hz have a negative affect on the sub in the same size enclosure? (3.15 cubes)

One of the guys on here ran a box where port area = cone area.

And it worked well.

Basically you could use 2 3'', it would do the job, but 2-4'' would be more optimal.

And on swapping ports, I don't think you need to worry w/ only 1500 watts

i wouldnt use 2 3" ports for a 15" nightshade.atleast use 2 4".

you bought a bad ass sub, why not make it loud?
lol ya true...i already have it in a box with two 4" ports but the box is a little too big, so im making it a little smaller. i didnt think switching it to two 3" ports would make that much of a difference. but im gona use two 4" ports for the new box as well. i just wana know what others are tuning their nightshades to for SPL applications? i was thinking 46Hz for when i compete and 35Hz for daily

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.