3 IDQ 12s off of a DLS A5

thadman
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Indiana
I currently have a DLS Ultimate A5 amplifier, it provides 85 x 2 @ 4ohm + 300 x 1 @ 4ohm (nearly 1000 x 1 @ 1ohm)

Image Dynamics has an overstock of their IDQ 12 series drivers and has them for $100 shipped paypal

My question is, is

Would 2 of these provide as much output as 1 IDMax?

In another thread, I believe these were mentioned as IDQs. I sent Image Dynamics an email, asking exactly what they were.

are you sure the dls a5 is 1 ohm stable?

but if 300 watts would definately be enough for each sub. i'm driving ~250 watts to my arc audio 12d4 (almost the same as the idq) right now and it plays pretty loud.

i believe he is talking about these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Image-Dynamics-OEM-12-Overstock_W0QQitemZ5880608783QQcategoryZ3291QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and if he is then those are not IDQ's they are more like the ed ov.2 series but not quite the same.

they are still some nice drivers especially for the price.

and i might pick up one of the 15" ones myself to replace my 16kv.2

but i could be wrong

~Magick_Man~

*edit* **** i type slow, 4 responses before i finished with mine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

It states 1.33ohm stable in the manual, and ive heard it does nearly 1000 on its mono channel at 1ohm on 14.4v.

Im sure it could handle 1ohm, if it could handle 1.33ohms. These are very tough amps.

It states 1.33ohm stable in the manual, and ive heard it does nearly 1000 on its mono channel at 1ohm on 14.4v.
Im sure it could handle 1ohm, if it could handle 1.33ohms. These are very tough amps.
well okay then. then yes it should be enough to power all three subs if its similar to the idq. more than enough.

****it...oh well. I was really hoping these were IDQs. How are these subs SQ wise? 2 bnib 15s for $250 shipped sounds like a hell of a deal.

First of all, yes the A5 will play down to 1 ohm.

Second, I don't think those are IDQ's...but drivers made by ID with stock parts. I could be wrong though.

Third, what is your charging system like? Can it handle running that A5 at full throttle?

Fourth, If i were you I be doing some research into how much output you get by running more drivers at less power vs running fewer drives with more power. I see you are trying to take advantage of a good deal here, but what about an enclosure for all those? You'd need some space? Do you have it?

Fifth, I have single 12" Arc like kenny...which is essentially a beefed up IDQ running off my A5 at 2 ohm and it's more than I need. You can expect a bit more than 500 @ 2 ohms out of that amp...I believe my dealer said to expect more like 600 at full throttle.

They are well made amps, but I don't now how long it will last running it like that. If you want the DLS powerhouse, then look at the A6....that will throw down 1K at 1 ohm. BTW, that's burping subs though I believe.

I believe theyre the elemental designs subs, my bad.

I have enough room for subs, my trunk is 13-14 cubic feet not including the wheel well.

The subs will be playing against horns, if that says anything.

The A5 is the only amp I am going to have running (horns will be run off of headunits power). The stock electrical system + big 3 could support 90 amps easily.

Im not going to be competing, so I doubt the amp would see any more than 1/2 current draw during daily use.

In another thread, I believe these were mentioned as IDQs. I sent Image Dynamics an email, asking exactly what they were.
That may have been me.

Thay do look and spec close to the IDQ.

I already Purchased 2.

Will you let me know what ID e-mails you back with?

I couldnt pass up 2 for $200 shipped

Thanks

Greg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.