3.5 inch dash speaker advice needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

superquest
10+ year member

I have Sound Ordnance 3.5 in dash speakers which hold 25 watts and are getting the 22 rms watts from my headunit. They're starting to crackle at times. Was wondering a couple things 1: What quality 3.5 inch speaker holds the most rms under $100? 2: Whats the best sounding 3.5 inch speaker under $100?

I have Sound Ordnance 3.5 in dash speakers which hold 25 watts and are getting the 22 rms watts from my headunit. They're starting to crackle at times. Was wondering a couple things 1: What quality 3.5 inch speaker holds the most rms under $100? 2: Whats the best sounding 3.5 inch speaker under $100?
You're not going to get much out of a front stage that's comprised of 3.5's. Do you have door speaker locations to work with, or just the dash? If that's all you can do, I'd amp them with about 40-50 watts and set the hpf to 150hz. The factory amp on a hu is going to clip pretty bad once you get to the upper volume levels.

My car only has 3.5's in the dash and 6x9's or 6.5's with an adapter plate in the rear deck.
Myself, I'd look into pods for the kickpanel. Just do the best install you can for those 3.5s in the meantime. Deaden the area and use foam seals to get what can. I world definitely amp them. I'm not sure if buying new ones will help, but Infinity makes nice ones.

Also, you may be able to squeeze a 4" mid in there with a little modification, and be able to use a component set. I think CDT makes a set on that size. What car are you working with?

My 85 Olds Delta-88 has 3.5's in the dash and I've burned out every pair I've owned with just HU power. You MUST put bass blockers on them, at least 150 Hz preferably 300 Hz. The best I found was Boston Acoustics coaxials - FE3 or Se35, but you'll have to modify the Olds' grilles to fit them (the tweeters stick up above the woofer).

But the best thing I ever did with that car is mount 5.25's in the doors. You have to be creative:

PanelSpeakerHole.JPG

RAAMMat

RS5Mounted.JPG

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.