3 10's...ported...fiberglassed...pic

Building up with resin. Will do this one more time tomorow, before I give it the finish sanding. I'll go with the wet sanding up to 1500 then give it the high gloss laquer and pollishing compound. heres what it loos like at the moment.

Very nice work, I like the guts you have to work with CF on those contours.

lol, I wouldnt call it guts, I would call it more ignorance. I hadnt realized how difficult it was going to be with the shape I was trying to do. I guess it turned out okay so far, but it is not perfect. I am going to try again with a less shapely piece. maybe I will have a production mold made specifically for carbon fiber. I am infact just starting out with this stuff. Thanks for the compliment though.

I just scared teh Shiat out of me! Sanded for a split second and thought I ruined teh piece! ! ! ! I couldnt see the caron fiber any more. (the weve)

i was afraid that would happen, that's why i said " a few more layers of resin, then sand, then polish." lol. i read about finishing FG and CF a while back.

remember you only want to sand the resin and not touch the CF at all, the interlacing strands of CF is what gives it the look youre looking for, if you touch the CF with sand paper, you might damage it.

but i guess you figured out a way to fix that,

i love the CF look.

thumbs up

edit: a little of the subject but i have to ask.

do you have any tips on how to work with CF? same as FG? since you have first hand experience and youre good at it i figured id asked. lol

yeah. I only light sanded it. If I were to sand through the fiber, I would have ruined it. The whole thing was a touchy trial. I am glad it is still going well. I laid one heavy coat of epoxy resin. I am going to sand that just to get the high spots out, then see how it is at that point. if it is good to go, I'll shoot it with the clear coat, if I think another coat of resin, I'll do that. I will need another run or two until I get good enough to confidently fabricate to sell at normal price. I'm thinking I would let this one go for $300.00. Think thats reasonable? I still have to ass the internal bracing and the ports. This thing took alot of work so far. They usually don't require this much time and effort. where did you get that piece of literature btw? about the carbon fiber?

experimental projects always take longer. lol. 300 bucks thats not bad at all, im should sell quick.where did you buy the CF?
bought it off ebay. sprt cycles. I also paid for a carbon fiber tutorial to go with it that wasnt much worth it. Oh well here is what they sent me for five bucks. BTW you familiar with Athens TX? my best friend is from there. He said you are right down the road.

Carbon Fiber Fabrication

Carbon fiber and composite materials are being used much more in today’s marketplace

from high performance parts and accessories on racecars, boats, planes, models, etc. With

its strength-to-weight ratio there are few other materials readily available that can be used

in such a way as to provide strength as well as being very lightweight. Along with the

weight saving you will have with the pieces you make it will look good too. To make any

structural pieces it would be very hard to do without expensive equipment such as an

autoclave, large die cut molds, etc, etc. This brief “how to” will describe how to fabricate

some small flat pieces and you can go from there. After working with the materials you

will find it much easier than you might have thought.

Here is a brief list of materials that will make the fabrication of your parts

easier, most can be found around the house or local hardware store.

• Flat work surface

• Plastic sheet slightly larger than desired part

• Mold (in this case a piece of glass)

• Mold release (car wax)

• Scissors (for Kevlar fabrics scissors will dull very quickly, Kevlar

shears are recommended)

• Masking tape, ¾” is ok

• Squeegee, plastic or rubber

• Rubber gloves

• Cheap disposable paint brush 1” to 2”

Steps you will be taking:

• Prepare the mold

• Cut the carbon fabric

• Mix the epoxy resin & hardener

• Wet out fabric with epoxy

• Apply wet fabric to mold

• Take out or off of mold

• Finish surface if needed

Preparing the Mold

To prepare the “mold” (which in this case we will use a piece of glass) you can

use a regular car wax. You can buy a mold release but regular car wax will work just as

well and is cheaper. First you will need to clean the surface of the glass. Then apply at

least 4-5 coats of wax giving each coat time to dry and then buff out. Allow 15 minutes

between each coat of wax. Once the wax is done and you have a super smooth and shiny

surface you “mold” will be ready. If your mold is not waxed properly, it will be difficult

to remove piece from the mold. Remember, whatever your mold surface looks like, you

finished piece of carbon will look exactly the same, glossy mold = glossy carbon piece,

dull mold = dull carbon piece.

Cut the Carbon Fabric

Cut the carbon fabric slightly larger than the piece you are making giving yourself

approximately 2” all the way around. It might help to outline where you are going to cut

the fabric with some masking tape; this will keep the edges from fraying when you cut it.

Just don’t put the tape on the fabric where it will be in the area you want for the finished

part, the tape will be impossible to get off.

Mix the epoxy resin & hardener

To mix the epoxy resin and the hardener it is a 3 to 1 ratio. Three parts resin to

one part hardener. You can use a plastic container to mix the resin and hardener

thoroughly so that it is an even consistency. In this kit there is enough resin and hardener

to use for more than a yard of fabric. You can therefore mix part of the resin and hardener

in this kit and save the rest for touch ups, which will be described later. This epoxy will

give you a pot life (working time when resin is concentrated in container) of

approximately 20-25 minutes with a room temperature of 77 degrees. The working time

once the resin is spread over the fabric will be at least one (1) hour.

Wet out fabric with the Epoxy

Ideally you would want an epoxy to fabric ratio of 1 to 1 but that is very hard to

accomplish. Don’t worry if you use more epoxy than fabric. If you have a piece of plastic

to lay the carbon fabric on to apply the epoxy that works best. Tape the plastic down on

the edges to your work surface so that it doesn’t move around on you. With the fabric on

the plastic pour the epoxy over the fabric and with a brush (just watch it doesn’t shed) or

a small squeegee, rubber or plastic, spread the epoxy over the fabric until it is completely

saturated moving from the center out. Once this is done carefully turn over the fabric (this

is difficult on larger pieces, you might want a second person) and wet out the other side.

After saturating both sides you can gently squeegee any excess resin off of the fabric. If

you pull or stretch the fabric one way or another, just try and work it back to normal with

the squeegee (this is usually not a problem).

Apply Wet Fabric to the “Mold”

With the saturated piece of carbon fiber, carefully pick it up off of the plastic and

place it onto the “mold” where you want it. It can be laid down and picked up several

times but the more you try and move it the more chances you take of distorting the weave

pattern. Once the carbon is on the mold you can gently squeegee it again to conform the

fabric to the mold and to remove more excess resin (remember you are trying to get a

ratio as close to 1 to 1 as possible). Once the fabric is set onto the mold you can let dry.

Drying time will vary with temperature but usually after 12 hours it will be dry and

hardened enough to use. If possible let dry in a heated area around 75-80 degrees.

Take out or off of “Mold”

Once the piece is dry you can use a razor blade or flat putty knife to left up the

edges gently. Once you have lifted an edge you can work the piece off the mold. If the

piece is very hard to get of the mold you can use some thin wooden or plastic wedges to

separate the part from the mold. If this is difficult your mold was not waxed enough.

With the piece separated from the mold you can trim it with scissors if only one layer

thick (for Kevlar hybrids Kevlar shears or saw may be needed), otherwise use a saw or

dremel to cut and trim.

Finish Surface if Needed

If you have any imperfections in the surface of your piece such as pinholes, air

pockets, etc, you may want to try and clean these up. First scuff the piece with some

sandpaper, 220 grit will work. Then clean the piece off thoroughly using air or acetone

(available at most hardware stores). If using the acetone dampen cloth and wipe surface

of carbon part. After part is cleaned you can mix more epoxy resin and recoat or touch-up

the surface with a brush. After this resin has dried you will need to sand and buff to get

glossy surface.

After reading this brief “how to” and working with the materials you will be able

to start out with easy pieces and possibly work you way to making more complex shapes.

It is imperative that all customers understand and recognize that they are solely responsible for their own

skill and judgment when selecting and working with this product. Because Sport Cycle & Salvage, Inc

cannot control how this product is used, it makes no warranties, expressed or implied, including no

warranties of merchantability and fitness for purpose intended. Sport Cycle will not be liable for damages

resulting from use of this product whether incidental or consequential. For Material Safety Data Sheet

contact Sport Cycle & Salvage, Inc.

Caution!

Curing of epoxy generates heat. When contained in a large mass epoxy has a short pot life and

can get hot enough to melt a plastic container or burn skin.

IRRITANT. May cause skin irritation or allergic reaction. Avoid skin contact. Avoid inhalation

of vapors, and work in well-ventilated area. Do not swallow. Wear liquid proof gloves when

handling.

First Aid

SKIN CONTACT: Immediately wipe off resin and clean with waterless cleaner, then wash hands

with soap and water.

INHALATION: Move to fresh air if respiratory irritation occurs.

EYE CONTACT: Immediately flush with water for several minutes and call doctor immediately

if irritation persists.

INGESTION: Seek immediate medical attention if appreciable amounts are ingested.

hey that box looks great. Could you get a link to what you exactly bought off ebay. I can only find carbon fiber sheets with adhesive backing and im guessing thats not what i would use. Thanks

still havent had a chance to work on this since last weekend. Night crew *****! But it is clear of the politic of any work center so it's all good. I have done nothing but work and sleep work and sleep work and sleep past few days. I want to get back to my escapement! As I am very looking forward to the finished product of this piece. I also have to do three tens in a mustang this weekend too. I am going to be worn the F*** out!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.