2x10 in ported box vs 2x12 in sealed box.

Participant count
  • Participant list

bananas0n

Here's the deal, I'm driving halfway across the country in a few weeks, so I need to maximize trunk space while maintaining bass efficiency.

I drive a 2001 Mazda 626 sedan.

Here are my options with different equipment:

Rockford Fosgate T500-1bdCP. Rated for 500w RMS, but birth sheet says 750w at 1ohm. 500w at 2ohm.

2x12 JL Audio 12W1v2-4 single voice coil 300w RMS, even wired in parallel I can only get them down to 2ohms, which is okay. For maximum space, I have put them in a basic Atrend 2x12 sealed box. They sound decent.

Orrrr I have 2x10 Rockford Fosgate P2D4-10 DVC 300w RMS capable of being wired in parallel down to 1ohm.

So honestly, if my 2x10s in a ported box isn't much bigger than the 2x12 sealed, and sound just about the same, what would you suggest?

If you have them, try both and use whatever fits better or sounds better
I'm currently at work. I work at an audio shop, so my manager is going to let me take the 2x12 sealed box home to compare to my 2x10 ported (which is in my closet). I think the 2x10 ported is about 1" larger all the way around. Thing is, I might be selling the JL 12s, so if they're comparable enough it's a win/win.

If those 10s are in a prefab, those 12s will sound infinitely better. If those 10s are in a custom properly built box designed around your vehicle acoustic's and subwoofer's electromechanical parameters, then the 10s will be way better, If its just a random box you got from a shop that looks mass produced, yuck.

If those 10s are in a prefab, those 12s will sound infinitely better. If those 10s are in a custom properly built box designed around your vehicle acoustic's and subwoofer's electromechanical parameters, then the 10s will be way better, If its just a random box you got from a shop that looks mass produced, yuck.
The Rockford 10s are in a Rockford ported box. Came preloaded, so I assume the port is tuned to those specific woofers. The 2x12 box is just a generic Atrend sealed box.

The Rockford 10s are in a Rockford ported box. Came preloaded, so I assume the port is tuned to those specific woofers. The 2x12 box is just a generic Atrend sealed box.
both are considered mass produced chinese prefabs boxes. Neither are designed properly to fit the vehicle acoustics.

both are considered mass produced chinese prefabs boxes. Neither are designed properly to fit the vehicle acoustics.
Oh, I know. We custom build boxes where I work, but I'm not serious enough about my own equipment to invest in the time to design and build my own. Maybe one day when I can afford some Sundown's or Shok's, or something on that level. Until then, it's decent woofers in okay enclosures.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.