2nd alternator

skydeaner
10+ year member

suede humper
Could I just fabricate a steel bracket and attach a second alternator instead of buying a high output one? How would I wire it in? Just attach the output to the positive on the battery? Should I fuse in between it? If i make it to where it presses against the belt properly i wont even need a different sized belt right?

Im putting dual alts in my latest project vehicle.

Im assuming you have a serpentine. Chances are you will need a new belt. Brackets must be SOLID. Belt/pulley must line up VERY well. And you'll need to figure out your new belt length.

Honestly, unless you are going extreme and really need 2 alts, Id recommend just going the HO alt route. That would be satisfactory for most people, not to mention cheaper and easier.

$300 is a fairly average, if not semi-cheap price for a good quality Ho alt. If you want to run a lot of power you need to pay the price to make sure you dont blow the equipment.

I am only runnin what is listed in my sig, so roughly 1800 watts rms. My major problem is i only have an 80 amp alt stock. I would be happy with a 120-140 and that shouldnt cost me more than 300 bucks.

Is that normal for my battery to rest so low? It is a marine battery, I figured it would be better so that i could play the system longer with the car off.

ok how about extra batteries. My common electrical sense is telling me it isn't going to do any good (my headlights practically shut off lol) but everyone says adding extra batteries has helped their situation.

call up a local auto parts store. most of them can get decent high output alts (130-150) for like 150ish.

they may not have them for that vehicle due to most of the high output alts are for plow trucks but who knows. give her a shot

has anyone ever tested the battery thing? like if multiple batteries actually help or not... and is there a way to change the resting voltage of a battery?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.