2015 Honda, water leak in car, Honda says coming in through speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

npcout
10+ year member

PA
My car developed horrid mold smell. I found water around the edges of the doors in the inside of the car. I took my car to Honda figuring it was a warranty issue. The told me the issue is I have aftermarket speakers installed and they were not installed water seal tight which is allowing water to leak in the car around the speaker in very small amounts accumulating overtime.

They told me Honda uses a lot of foam and water resistant barriers around there speakers because the way there drain mechanisms work, water is suppose to run through the car doors and if you don't install your new speakers with 100% water seal, water will get in around the edges.

I still have my old stock speakers and they are pretty beefy with a hell of a lot of foam and protective barriers all around them in every place.

Anyone ever heard of this? Anything I could do without placing stock speakers back in?

If the aftermarket speakers were installed improperly then I can see this happening. But if they were installed with a proper baffle and gasket then there should not be an issue.

Was the vaper barrier removed from the inner door skin when the speakers were installed? If so, this is likely the main issue...

How were your aftermarket speakers installed? Any gasket material used on the mounting surface? Was a pre-made speaker adapter baffle used or a custom baffle used? Do you have any photos from the installation? Need more info...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.