2014 Chevy Express Van install?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Scrufdog

I have a new 2014 Chevy Express Van for work. It came with the bare bones radio, no OnStar, BT, NAV, AUX, ...nothing, just AM/FM.

The only 'features' it has are warning chimes through the radio and the radio stays on until you open a door. Apparently this means its controlled by a CanBUS signal, and not by the keyswitch.

Im going to install a new Pioneer stereo, but I have no idea what harness adapter I need. I'm finding the 'standard issue' harnesses for $5, up to harness kits that cost $150+. I havent done an install on a newer vehicle in awhile, so I'm basically lost with this install. Everything I've done before this is just the cheapo adapter harness and a dash kit, and done.

What kit do I need to install a new stereo in this thing and keep everything working correctly, like the chimes, and keeping the stereo on without a key? Preferably in the Metra brand since that is easily available locally.

Additional info, if needed.

this is a chassis cab van, it has a big work box on the back of it, so it only came wired with front speakers. I'll be adding/wiring in rear speakers running off the head unit (I assume) to put in the work box.

Thanks

I have a new 2014 Chevy Express Van for work. It came with the bare bones radio, no OnStar, BT, NAV, AUX, ...nothing, just AM/FM.
The only 'features' it has are warning chimes through the radio and the radio stays on until you open a door. Apparently this means its controlled by a CanBUS signal, and not by the keyswitch.

Im going to install a new Pioneer stereo, but I have no idea what harness adapter I need. I'm finding the 'standard issue' harnesses for $5, up to harness kits that cost $150+. I havent done an install on a newer vehicle in awhile, so I'm basically lost with this install. Everything I've done before this is just the cheapo adapter harness and a dash kit, and done.

What kit do I need to install a new stereo in this thing and keep everything working correctly, like the chimes, and keeping the stereo on without a key? Preferably in the Metra brand since that is easily available locally.

Additional info, if needed.

this is a chassis cab van, it has a big work box on the back of it, so it only came wired with front speakers. I'll be adding/wiring in rear speakers running off the head unit (I assume) to put in the work box.

Thanks
The reason the more expensive harnesses have that price is because they support steering wheel controls, bluetooth, and other accessories from the stock unit. Since your van sounds like it has none of this a cheap harness should be fine. If you were able to find a wiring diagram for the car you can skip the harness and just splice the wires in yourself (if you know what you are doing). all you need is power(usually yellow), ground(black), ignition(red), and speaker wires. Possibly a radio antenna adapter depending on the deck you install.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.