2011 Ford Escape - SQ Build

Donnie W
10+ year member

Ontario
I figure I'd post the start-to-finish build and install in our 2011 Ford Escape.

Here's my wish-list:

1. New head-unit. Touch screen, supports USB, iPhone, Bluetooth.

2. New speakers all around, components up front.

3. Subs.

4. Amps for above.

5. Reduce unwanted noise.

Here's my requirements:

1. One through four above.

2. Minimal modification to vehicle.

3. Minimal loss of space.

4. Retention of all factory audio/phone features (SYNC, SWC, etc).

5. Fit within my budget.

I'm not a dreamer, not a butcher, not interested in competition or otherwise displaying (dare I say 'showing off'). This is a one of our daily drivers. The car needs to sound great, look clean/professional, and remain practical.

There are some challenges in this car to be sure. I already know SYNC is a pita to work around, and the room for subs is not exactly great. But I'll do what I can and document it along the way so that others with these popular SUVs get an idea of what their up against. I am not all an expert in this field, rather I work in high-tech forensics. So bear with me as I build this out.

Speaking of what I'm up against, here's the factory dash and rear cargo area. This is what I have to work with.

Factory deck, no sub, no amps. I DO have the steering wheel controls (not shown)

67ieea.jpg

Rear cargo area.

aze0b8.jpg

I picked up a set of Hertz component speakers (Energy series). The set includes a 6.5" driver and 1" tweeter, along with the corresponding cross-over. This is the first goal in the build, ditch the front cans.

I didn't take a photo of the stock speakers, however, here is the void left from the speaker. Contrasting the stock hole is the outline of the 6.5" woofer. I also replaced the stock wiring, which is no easy task given the wire harness from door to body:

2is9xuc.jpg

The inside of the door panel looks like such:

2yxmdts.jpg

First order of business was to create a mounting ring. Cut, pre-drilled, and beaded with acoustic caulk:

26rsx.jpg

I nice clean strip of high-density door seal and it's ready to mount:

2ymxe6o.jpg

A little bit of black spray paint to finish the MDF ring, mounted the speakers and voilà!:

23m5w5i.jpg

Apologies, going to do some catching up here as I just joined the forum after folks on a Ford forum suggested I post here as well. Sounds like they like this place //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I've about two weeks into the build, so I'll bring the thread up to speed.

So while I poked away in the doors I noticed Ford installed 3 cents worth of foil covered tar in some kind of attempt to knock down the road noise:

11lprty.jpg

I kind of expected as much so I ordered up some acoustic treatment from the good folks at B-Quiet. I'm not about plugging people for the sake of business, rather I mention the people who treat me (and hopefully others here) well. B-Quiet sent the stuff fast, included a nice roller and even called to make sure I got my order.

Install of that stuff to follow.

Got the doors done last night. Two layers of B-Quiet Extreme.

I also placed some B-Quiet on the door panel itself, particularly around the speaker area. Should give it a little more mass.

2ywivrl.jpg

Next up, I decided to work on the tweeters in the lower A-pillar.

Drilled and touched up with the Dremel.

ngzhwx.jpg

Tweeter in place. Only thing I did after this was add a couple spots of hot-glue to keep the tweeters in place, though they were already tight fitting.

fc49bp.jpg

The finished product.

10y2re0.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.