2010 Chevy Silverado system install help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

mswitz88

Hello everyone! I am new to the site and looking for some help on my next install. I recently purchased a 2010 Silverado 1500 extended cab with the plain-jane stock system (non-bose, no onstar, no steering wheel controls, etc.) that simply isn't cutting it. I want to install a full system with MTX components up front, full range MTX in the rear doors and an alpine 10" type-S sub in a custom box mounted between the front seats. I will be running them off a Kenwood KDC-HD455U head unit and a Rockford Fosgate R600-5 5-channel amp. My question is that I'm trying to determine if I really need the $130 wiring harness that crutchfield claims I need to maintain all the stock features and whether this harness will even help since I am using an amp or if it will make all my chimes obnoxiously loud by running them through the amp. I know GM vehicles run everything through the head unit, unfortunately, but what will I really be missing? If its just the door chimes and turn signal chimes, I'm not going to waste the money I don't think. I don't have Onstar and don't intend to get it while I own the vehicle and since I am running new wires for all the speakers, I won't be using half the connectors in the harness. So has anyone attempted an install similar to mine and not used the harness? I know if I buy a $120+ head unit, crutchfield will give me the adapter for half price but it still seems like an absurd amount of money for some wire and a plastic connector when I believe I can hard wire the few connections I need from the stock harness to power the head unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am about to purchase my equipment sometime this week. As a side note, I have installed somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 head units in various vehicles but nothing this new or with all the factory features that are run through the head unit. Thanks for your help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.