2000+ Chevy Owners...

Anonymous User
10+ year member

****** FTW!
Bay Area, CA
I know some Chevys that were made after year 2000, have the door chime, air bag and all that. when installing a aftermarket radio, it says to buy a $80 harness/adapter that will keep all these features, that the stock deck had. I was wondering did anyone have to buy one of those, and if you did. did it even make a difference? I want to install a headunit and was wondering would there be any ill effects from not using the $80 harness.

Thanks

In most cases the only problem is that you'll lose all audible warning chimes; ie, door chime, lights left on, etc. You also need to find an alternate source for switched power; there's no accessory connection behind the radio in these vehicles.

I have an 05 grand prix that I just bought (General Motors still) and I had to use the Scosche GM09B. What this harness does is retain door chimes, R.A.P, and gives you your accessory. Now granted I work at Best Buy I could have gotten the same harness without the door chime attachment for maybe two bucks, but I went with the 09B for warranty purposes. There is alot of rumors about these harnesses that are "needed" but some cars are needed such as Impalas and Monte Carlos. We have had one of each come back due to blown B.C.M's (body control module) because the B.C.M sends out signals still, and the radio (aftermarket) does not accept them, therefore screwing up the B.C.M. At the end of the day, its really a toss up if your gonna need it or not. I saw it this way, better to be safe than sorry...

I think its a 2003+ or at least chevys and gmcs with bose? I have a 2001 GMC and i did not need an adaptor to keep my chimes.
Various models went to the Class II data bus system during different model years. Cavalier/Sunfire in 2000, Grand Am/Alero/Malibu as well as Impala/Monte Carlo in 01, Full-size trucks and SUVs in 03. A test is to determine whether the warning chime is being produced by the driver's door speaker; if so, removing the radio will remove the chimes. A few models use the data bus system for radio on/off but don't generate the chimes with the radio.

Also, no DIN 1/2 radios use the data bus; only double-DIN. Bose is not an indicator, nor is RDS on the radio.

Finally, some of the newest models like Cobalt, new Malibu, G6 use a completely different data bus system called LAN. That requires a different adapter than the Class II data bus vehicles. I've seen reports of radio removal causing fault codes in the LAN-bus vehicles, but haven't run into it personally.

It only causes codes because GM is retarded and you control some of the cars features through the headunit. Who the crap does that !?!

i have an 03 s-10 and got away with cheaper one. cartoys was saying something about wiring the stock radio in the box of the truck, but that's just stupid. car toys ***** if you don't have 10 grand to spend.

well, i was just wondering because im going to put my system in the van im going to be using temporarily. a 2000 chevy venture, and was planning to get a deck off a crutchfield, and noticed i needed one so iwas wondering. i guess ill jsut buy one.

In most cases the only problem is that you'll lose all audible warning chimes; ie, door chime, lights left on, etc. You also need to find an alternate source for switched power; there's no accessory connection behind the radio in these vehicles.
bringing this back up, since i bought a LOC[ which broke one me]. so now i want to get a deck, you said that there is no switched power source, but i hooked up the remote wire from my amp to the red wire, and it turns on everytime i turn on the car and turns off after about 30secs after i turn off the car.

so saying that, is there a regular harness without the databus thing that i can buy?

I think its a 2003+ or at least chevys and gmcs with bose? I have a 2001 GMC and i did not need an adaptor to keep my chimes.
i have a 2001 tahoe and still have my stuff. i think its just those with bose...

Both the 2000 Venture and the 2001 Tahoe are models built before data-bus radios. Bose has nothing to do with it; the Tahoe went to a data bus radio in 2003. There's no red wire in the stock GM plugs, but the red wire in an adapting harness should work as accessory power in these models.

i just installed the pioneer 7800 in my 2003 Tahoe. i ordered my 7800 off crutchfield so they gave me the adapter at 40 bucks. it works great but i don't really believe it to be necessary. i just bought it because im a noob and i didn't want to screw anything up since this was only my second head unit installation.

Both the 2000 Venture and the 2001 Tahoe are models built before data-bus radios. Bose has nothing to do with it; the Tahoe went to a data bus radio in 2003. There's no red wire in the stock GM plugs, but the red wire in an adapting harness should work as accessory power in these models.
then why does my stock wiring have a red/pink wire? i hooked my remote wire up to it and it works fine. whats the harness i can use for my venture that doesnt have the databus thing?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.