2 way active speaker choice: dayton RS180+SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G

Participant count
  • Participant list

spencer321
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
palm bay
alright i pretty much got it in the title, been wanting to go active for quite a while, wanted to do 3 way but figured i'd start with a big 2 way (7") that way if i feel the need ill had a 4" midrange later, pairing a 7" to a tweet wasn't easy but i think i got it pretty decent.

the RS180 will supposedly play up to 2k hz, the 27TFFNC/G will play what looks like (on graph) down to about 1200hz, giving me a big window for crossover, i was thinking between 1500-1700hz approx.

basically curious if anyones done this setup, or can suggest a better one for the price, i've attached links for both drivers if by some chance your unfamiliar

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-374&scqty=2

90$ for the mids

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1466

60$ for the tweets

so 150$ for active 2 way speakers... keep in mind doesnt HAVE to be 7"

if anyone thinks this setup would be better with the RS150's instead of theRS180's speak up

RS180's are GREAT speakers, but the OEM's will have better low end. I have the RS180's right now and they sound amazing with any type of music. Will be "upgrading" to OEM's shortly, and plan on doing a comparison too. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Those rs180's will work fine at 2.5khz using a LR4 crossover...2khz with a LR2 crossover. Otherwise you'll be noticing that breakup node if you try to go any higher. They also don't bottom out easy at all. I don't have a sub in my truck right now, and I'm running the 180's without any kind of highpass crossover on them, and they don't bottom out unless I'm really cranking it louder than I would want to listen to music for more than a few seconds. It's also surprising how much bass/midbass they have when driven close to their limits.

id oem's and seas neo aluminums IMO. its a sick sounding combo in my car.
im just not a huge fan of metallic tweets, i like a soft warmer fabric tweet, however i've never heard a metallic tweet that wasn't harsh to me, so perhaps if i heard a good one i might change my mind who knows lol

im just not a huge fan of metallic tweets, i like a soft warmer fabric tweet, however i've never heard a metallic tweet that wasn't harsh to me, so perhaps if i heard a good one i might change my mind who knows lol
the aluminum seas neo is not harsh. i have never once in a review heard it described as harsh or even bright.

they are just very accurate. play a cd thats recorded harsh or full of clipping then it'll sound harsh and the clipping will be obvious, play a cd thats more laid back and it will sound laid back.

they also have very extended top end when put directly on-axis, creates a nice shimmer on cymbals.

do some searching on diyma on them. should find some good results pretty easily.

RS180's are GREAT speakers, but the OEM's will have better low end. I have the RS180's right now and they sound amazing with any type of music. Will be "upgrading" to OEM's shortly, and plan on doing a comparison too. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
told ya so. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

the aluminum seas neo is not harsh. i have never once in a review heard it described as harsh or even bright.
they are just very accurate. play a cd thats recorded harsh or full of clipping then it'll sound harsh and the clipping will be obvious, play a cd thats more laid back and it will sound laid back.

they also have very extended top end when put directly on-axis, creates a nice shimmer on cymbals.

do some searching on diyma on them. should find some good results pretty easily.
i've been going back n forth between here n there, at 65$ a pair, and plenty used floating around, itll probably be well worth getting both sets and seeing which ones i like and selling the ones i dislike.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.