2 sundown e12d4v3 not sounding the way i think they should

badwj

Okay its like this, I purchased 2 sundown e3 12 version 3s and have them wired down to 1 ohm. I installed them in a sealed 1cu per side box and they sounded like they were leaking in the box so i had a new one made. Its tuned to 32 hz and has 3.4 cubs in total. I know sundown recommends 1.75 cubes per side but is 1.70 enough or do you think they are out of phase? I dont get it. I double checked my wiring and they are getting more then enough clean power but they dont even come close to two sony xplods i used to have in the sealed box on the same amp wired down to two ohm. Is it possible the subs are wired out of phase even though the wires go into the same colored leads?

what does it sound like? it's possible.. maybe a coil is labeled backwards who knows the left lead coming to the lead connection is always positive if that helps. 1.7 cubes is plenty but is it a 3.4 cube box net or gross? working with 3.4 cubes gross would be a big problem as you likely have much less than that net

what amp are you using? is it clipped to death?

Its 3.4 cubes gross well before subs are installed. Sundown recommends 1.75 but itsnt clear on net vs gross. I have an amp that'll put out 1300 watts rms clean, it sounds like its out of phase to me but i didnt try switching the wires around on one of the subs because i know i wired to the right colors for each but now im thinking one sub isnt labeled correctly for positive and negative. Tomorrow ill try switching one subs polarity and see how that goes. Also i could try adding some poly fill if it might help

Last edited by a moderator:
Its 3.4 cubes gross. Sundown recommends 1.75 but itsnt clear on net vs gross. I have an amp that'll put out 1300 watts rms clean, it sounds like its out of phase to me but i didnt try switching the wires around on one of the subs because i know i wired to the right colors for each but now im thinking one sub isnt labeled correctly for positive and negative. Tomorrow ill try switching one subs polarity and see how that goes. Also i could try adding some poly fill if it might help
3.4 gross is probably on the small side. for future reference, it's always net when its mentioned like that. you're missing out on the volume taken up by the port, the subs, the bracing, and the thickness of the box. make sure the polarity is correct and then play with polyfill, if it starts sounding better then you know your box is too small. ideally you have 3.4-4 cubes NET for 2 12s

Sweet, thanks for the info. Ill try checking polarity and make sure the positive is on the left for both coils on both subs then ill try messing around with poly fill. Ill report back with what happens.

doesnt have to be polyfill you can get stuff called polyester batting? i think its called, made for stuffing pillows lol. i got mine at walmart for relatively cheap. dont stuff it too tight, just slowly add more and see how it reacts

if its a super hollow sound that doesnt get louder from increasing the volume at any point, even from volume 1 to volume 2, then its definitely a phase issue. your amp may be rated 1300w rms clean but you need to make sure its set properly, yes other people have gotten crap cheap amps so just tell us what it is rather than being worried about getting shamed for it. you're here for help so the more info we have the better

Yeah its as if i cant hear them even though theyre moving a lot. Turning the volume up does help to an extent but not really audibly different. My amps rated for 1500( audiopipe apcl15001d) at one ohm but a few different people tested them with the ad1 and they all tested over 1300 watts on certified mode, so i have the gains set accordingly. Im probably sure i can get more out of it if i used a scope but im happy with said amp for now, i do plan on upgrading to a new amp at somepoint. About the stuff used for pillows. Thats what i used in my box for my xplods and they sounded better with it. It did 120s easily in a dodge avenger at one point but i bought them back and put them in my jeep and i doubt it was even close to 120 in there so this is what led me with going with sundowns and having a ported box made. I had installed them in the sealed to try to get me by while waiting for the new box. Sorry for rambling on i just love bass

Measure up box money. Maybe it's a alignment issue. Never overlook you setting. There's been times I've over looked them with the vibration has changed them. Make sure your subsonic is set correctly. And maybe try moving the box around and see if it helps!

31.25 width 17.75 depth 13.5 hight and its all 3/4 inch mdf. I put that into a box calculator and it gave me 3.3572 and thats before port area gets added in so yeah i guess i need to add some hight or something to this box. i wonder how much poly fil would be needed to make it sound right

Last edited by a moderator:
31.25 width 17.75 depth 13.5 hight and its all 3/4 inch mdf

That's like 3.16cubes after displacement... Do the pop test with a 9v and make sure they are in phase. They should stomp some Sony explode woofers. Even in a sealed box. But you should have went Ported.

Thats what has me confused. I had them in the sealed box and they still sounded close to the way they do now just that box had a leak from being so old. I was expecting these to completely walk over the old sonys

Thats what has me confused. I had them in the sealed box and they still sounded close to the way they do now just that box had a leak from being so old. I was expecting these to completely walk over the old sonys
31.25 width 17.75 depth 13.5 hight and its all 3/4 inch mdf. I put that into a box calculator and it gave me 3.3572 and thats before port area gets added in so yeah i guess i need to add some hight or something to this box. i wonder how much poly fil would be needed to make it sound right

No sh*t they wont walk over the sonys, your box is utterly fked, nothing will save it.. Thats a box for a single 12 or two 10s not two 12s. Subs are strangled to death. How can you even possibly have anything work in a box soo small.

With good port figures, the best you can get out of it would be 2.5 cubes net. These subs need 2 cubes each and you literally starve them. Who the hell made the box for you? its complete junk based off the outter dimensions. Sounds like a prefab box or maybe worse. This box, you'll only get 20% of what they can actually do at best.

qIJkKR.jpg

Its actually a port width of 2 and i dont know length or hight. Those subs need 1.75 as sundowns recommendation not 2 cubs each. Even when they were in the one cube each sealed box they had the same type of sound just not anywhere near where they should have been. The box can be modified thats not an issue..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.