2 pairs Of 15in subs loosing power when 2nd pair engaged

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pipezilla

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 4 15s with two amplifiers. 2 subs to each amp. When all 4 subs are active at the same time they have less power than just one pair. I had setup a bass knob to one amp to kick in the 2nd pair of subs when I want heavy bass that’s when I noticed the moment the 2 pair gets any power it cuts the bass in half of the first pair already in use. I have a 4 gauge wire ran to a distributor block then 8 gauge split from that to both amps which are 2500watt power acoustic razors and the subs are 2 15in Pyle Power 2000w subs and 2 15in Hifonic Brutus 1200w subs. Any advice or idea to why this is happening?

Which amps? Which vehicle? Box size and specs? And, it sounds like your electrical needs some upgrades. 2/0 gauge to a distributor block and 1/0 gauge to the amps. Also, which alternator are you running? Have you done the big three upgrade? If it's possible, sell all four subs and get two good ones. Best case, sell the amps and get a Taramps MD8K. But, your electrical needs to be straightened up.

Which amps? Which vehicle? Box size and specs? And, it sounds like your electrical needs some upgrades. 2/0 gauge to a distributor block and 1/0 gauge to the amps. Also, which alternator are you running? Have you done the big three upgrade? If it's possible, sell all four subs and get two good ones. Best case, sell the amps and get a Taramps MD8K. But, your electrical needs to be straightened up.

I’m just getting started so I haven’t done any electrical upgrades yet. It’s a 2010 Dodge Journey, 2 power acoustic razor amps 2500w a piece, 2 hofonic brutus 15in subs 1200w and 2 Pyle 15in 2000w subs. And I was already playing with idea of just selling it all and getting 2 Skar EVL 15s or 2 Sundown Sdr 15s, which is now looking like the route I’m going to take.

I have 4 15s with two amplifiers. 2 subs to each amp. When all 4 subs are active at the same time they have less power than just one pair. I had setup a bass knob to one amp to kick in the 2nd pair of subs when I want heavy bass that’s when I noticed the moment the 2 pair gets any power it cuts the bass in half of the first pair already in use. I have a 4 gauge wire ran to a distributor block then 8 gauge split from that to both amps which are 2500watt power acoustic razors and the subs are 2 15in Pyle Power 2000w subs and 2 15in Hifonic Brutus 1200w subs. Any advice or idea to why this is happening?
thats the effect of cancellation when you have two different type and brand of subs you get one of 3 results. One is you get louder but your bass sounds like absolute ****. 2nd is there's no change in output but you lose sound quality. 3rd is when you lose output and sound quality which is your situation, the worst kind.

Mixing an matching sub brands or size is the equivalent of going into a blood gang neighborhood in LA wearing all blue(rival crips). The worse taboo possible.

Your solution is to sell the setup that's the least loud, buy identical subs to the first one and identical amps or sell both amps and get one big amp that can handle the ohm load and have all of them playing at once. You can control the bass amount with one bass remote or the sub level on the head unit.

Pyle still makes subs?! Sell all that **** ands start all over. We can help you get some better equipment than bottom of the barrel stuff.

Post up some pics of your audio installed.

I’m just getting started so I haven’t done any electrical upgrades yet. It’s a 2010 Dodge Journey, 2 power acoustic razor amps 2500w a piece, 2 hofonic brutus 15in subs 1200w and 2 Pyle 15in 2000w subs. And I was already playing with idea of just selling it all and getting 2 Skar EVL 15s or 2 Sundown Sdr 15s, which is now looking like the route I’m going to take.

Match your subs or sell them and look at 4-XFL15's and a Taramps MD8K. But, your electrical has to be straight. At least the three and an extra battery. Skip the Skar stuff. How big is your box for four 15's? I hope at least 7 net cubes minimum.

thats the effect of cancellation when you have two different type and brand of subs you get one of 3 results. One is you get louder but your bass sounds like absolute ****. 2nd is there's no change in output but you lose sound quality. 3rd is when you lose output and sound quality which is your situation, the worst kind.

Mixing an matching sub brands or size is the equivalent of going into a blood gang neighborhood in LA wearing all blue(rival crips). The worse taboo possible.

Your solution is to sell the setup that's the least loud, buy identical subs to the first one and identical amps or sell both amps and get one big amp that can handle the ohm load and have all of them playing at once. You can control the bass amount with one bass remote or the sub level on the head unit.

Makes complete sense I really appreciate the feedback

Makes complete sense I really appreciate the feedback
Sounds like a phase issue to me.
Swap the speaker leads (switch the (+/-) wires) one of the two pairs of subs.

yes, mixing subs is not generally a good idea - but more for SQ purposes than anything. You shouldn't get LESS output.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.