2 or 3 way comp dilemna

Frequentflyer
10+ year member

NJ
Hello all,

First post here. I'm debating on going with a 3-way component setup in my Mazdaspeed3 (6.5, 4, tweet), but not sure if it's worth the extra time and cash. I want to fab some kick pods, but with limited room with a manual tranny on the driver's side, I cannot fit a 6.5" woofer in a kick there without getting in my way, but could probably fit a 4" and a tweet and run the 6.5's in the stock door locations. If I went with a 2-way setup, I'd just go with the 6.5's in the doors and angle mount the tweets somewhere down low on the door near the mid. Would it be worth the effort going with a 3-way system in this config or just stay with a 2-way.

Thanks in advance.

i don't have an asnwer for your question but have u taken the panels off your doors yet to see what u have to work with?

and also what year is the ms3?

It's a 2008.5 with the Bose aka Blose system. It has 6.5's in the doors that are in a plastic assembly that mounts to a 6x8 sized mount. The speaker actually mounts to the plastic inner door skin. I can make 3/4" MDF 6x8 to 6.5 adapters and put the speakers in the doors. That should be a no brainer. I have fiberglassing experience, so making kick panels won't be rocket science for me and I don't mind putting in the time if it's worth it in the end. I have a dead pedal on the driver's side next to my clutch that I can take out to get more room for a kick pod on that side, but it'll take some getting used to not having a dead pedal because I do use it to rest my foot on. That's pretty much the only reason I don't want to lose a lot of room on that side.

I see you have a 2010. I'm assuming you're using the stock locations for your 6.5's? How does it sound?

Gotcha. why not put the 6.5's in the door and put the midrange and tweet in the A-pillar?

just fiberglass a pod up there or put the tweet in stock location(assuming ur tweets in the sail panel) and the mid range in the door?

I see you have a 2010. I'm assuming you're using the stock locations for your 6.5's? How does it sound?
I have yet to install everything. waiting on a few items but yes i will be using the stock location for the mids...still not sure where i'm going to put the tweets.

Hello all, First post here. I'm debating on going with a 3-way component setup in my Mazdaspeed3 (6.5, 4, tweet), but not sure if it's worth the extra time and cash. I want to fab some kick pods, but with limited room with a manual tranny on the driver's side, I cannot fit a 6.5" woofer in a kick there without getting in my way, but could probably fit a 4" and a tweet and run the 6.5's in the stock door locations. If I went with a 2-way setup, I'd just go with the 6.5's in the doors and angle mount the tweets somewhere down low on the door near the mid. Would it be worth the effort going with a 3-way system in this config or just stay with a 2-way. Thanks in advance.
In my opinion go for it but not just because you think more speakers is better. Its worth it if the xover points are well chosen and the midbass can get low and stay loud doing it. If this isnt the case dont bother.

Well, another option I have is to install the mid in the door panel right above my 6.5, kinda like a BMW 3-way setup (see where my finger is in the attached pic). Since the dome mids don't need to be on axis. Only downside to this is cutting a hole in my door panel and if for some reason they sound like ****, I want to change my set up or sell the car, I've got a hole in my door panel. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wallbash.gif.1310150c49dd52e0fbe1813a0681e5c3.gif

you cna get a 6in in the kickpanel you just loose the dead foot pedal thing which nobody uses on a clutch

id do 4in and tweeter in the kick and a 5-6in midbass in the door

like the other guy said getting the midbass up to speed will make or break your front stage

why not do the ID XS57 and get all the midbass you could hope for. On another note, whats wrong with a simple 2 way set up?

It seems this would depend on the sets your looking at, how experienced you are at installing and how much money your willing to spend. Personally I would never go 3 way if i didn't have stock locations for it all. If your looking at high quality 2 way sets its just not worth the work installing a 3 way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.