2 ohms how?

subs are never Xohm stable

its the amp that is Xohm stable, a sub is merely the number of ohms that it is, its up to the amp to be able to handle the load

We need to know if you have single voice coil subs, or dual voice coil subs, and what the OHM for each voice coil is to give you that info. Most Speakers come in 3 different ohm levels. 4, 6, 8. We need this info to tell you the correct way to wire them.

Heres all the info I could find on the subs:

340 Oz. Magnet

4" BASV/KAPTON HYBRID VOICE COIL

SPL: 92dB

·Dual 1 OHM Voice Coils

·Die-Cast Aluminum Basket

·Cloth Laminated Paper Cone with MD6 Coating

·Huge Foam Surround

·Dual Conex Spider

·Chrome Screw Terminals

·Woven Tinsel Lead Through Spider

• 2800 watts power handling

• 1400 watts RMS

• 340 oz. magnet

• 4” BASV/Kapton hybrid 18 awg voice coil

• FS 29.1(Hz)

• Vas 1.6 cu.ft.

• Qes: 0.52 • Qms: 4.06 • Qts: 0.31

• Xmax: 0.59”

• SPL 92 dB

• Sealed box: N/A

• Ported box: 3.4 cu. ft.

• Tuning: 40 Hz

• Port size: 4” (dia) x 10” (length)

• # of ports: 2

Now can you tell me what I was askin or did I ask a dumb question? lol

No that was the info we needed. What brand of speakers are those? 340 oz mag NICE. Seeing your first post said you have a 2 channel amp that push's 450 each channel at 2 ohms, do this, and you will get it.

I will label this as easy as I can. Each voic coil will have a neg and a pos. VC#1 pos goes to pos on amp. Neg terminal on VC#1 you will run a wire to the Pos terminal on VC#2. Neg Terminal on VC#2 to neg connection on amp. Do the same for the other speaker. I have put a drawing on here to help. YES I KNOW IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP BUT I DID IT IN 2 MIN.

Why not run the subs in series/parallel and run a 4-ohm mono load.?? That way you won't have to worry about one sub being louder than the other. What is the amp rated at 4 ohm mono ??

Adam

Sorry, it would actually be a 1 ohm load if you wired them in series/parallel. You would have to run them in just regular series to get a 4 ohm load which would in effect give you just as much if not MORE power to the subs. Depending on your amp that is.

Adam

You could run it in serie/parralell, but he did not say his amp was 1 ohm stable. If it is not I did not want to give him bad info and burn his amp. Nor did he say it was bridgable to mono at 1 ohm. I only used the info he gave me to tell him how to get 2 ohms on 2 different channels.

With the set up I told him he is not going to get a power difference in the subs. Each sub is getting 450 watts.

Why did you say If I told him to hook them up on 4 OHM he will get more power??????? If you raise the Ohm you loose power. The lower the Ohm the higher the power output of the amp. As long as both channels gains are set the same he will not get a power distrobution problem.

If you want them in 4 Ohm let me know and I will draw you a pic of that too. If your amp is 1 Ohm Mono stable you will get a little more power that way. Just let me know and I will draw you what ever you want.

Oh about the speakers. I have not heard of them, but I like the size of the mag. What size speaker is it? I love to see people who buy 15" subs with a 10 oz mag and tell me I have a 15' sub I am going to jam. YEA RIGHT. Let me guess pyramid ROCKS.. NOT.

You could run it in serie/parralell, but he did not say his amp was 1 ohm stable. If it is not I did not want to give him bad info and burn his amp. Nor did he say it was bridgable to mono at 1 ohm. I only used the info he gave me to tell him how to get 2 ohms on 2 different channels..

Well, that could possibly be feeding the amp a stereo signal which we all know is not the best for subwoofer system. MONO is. And 4 ohm mono is the same power as 2ohm stereo. And if you'll read my second post I corrected myself and said it would be a 1 ohm load. I never recommended 1 ohm, you took that out of context.

Why did you say If I told him to hook them up on 4 OHM he will get more power??????? If you raise the Ohm you loose power.
I know the basics of resistance ok. 4 ohm mono is the same power as 2 ohm stereo or didn't YOU know that ? In some cases some amps may have a higer output at 4-ohm mono just for the simple fact that bridged power is higher in most cases. Maybe not in his case. But like I said MONO is better for subs. NOT stereo which you had him wire it in. Unless he's feeding it a mono preamp signal he is getting a stereo signal to the subs. Which isn't going to maximize them.

Adam

I understand all of what you are saying. I just did not sit down and ask him if he had a Non-fader output. I assumed he did.

I am not trying to say anything about you. Or your ability to wire systems. From his question I give him an answer. You post only said to change it to 4 Ohm. Which you and I know could not be done with a DVC 1 ohm speaker unless you ran it in series. I did not want to confuse him anymore. Sorry if you took my answer to you the wrong way. I ment nothing bad by it.

I did not think before I answered you. My bad. I totally did not think about 4 ohm mono. I am used to working with 4 ohm speakers and I thought you wanted him to put it in 4 ohm stereo. I thought this prior to thinking about your reply.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.