2 Ohm or 4 Ohm

Fallout

Hi!

I have an Alpine PDX 4.150 Amp. Rated 4x150W @ 2Ohm or 4Ohm.

I want to get an 10" Alpine R Sub. You can order them with 2 Ohm Dual Voice coil or with 4 Ohm Dual Voice Coil.

Question 1:

Are there any sound quality differences in between the 2Ohm and the 4Ohm version?

Question 2:

Do i want to hook up one channel to one voice coil and the other channel to the other? (2Ohm sub or 4 Ohm sub would be possible in this config)

Or do i want to hook up both voice coils serial? (That means i would have to get the 2Ohm version)

Or do i want to hook up both voice coils parallel? (That means i would have to get the 4Ohm version)

Please don't explain me the impedance of a serial vs. a parallel configuration. I know that. I am interested in what the best config is from a sound perspective.

Thank you for reading.

Going with the dual 2ohm subs with coils in series for a 4ohm load on two bridged channels is how I would go as well...

Although any difference will be relatativley moot, this setup will give the least amount of IR loss in the amp's load stabilizing resistors and in your wiring...

Thanks a lot guys.

I misinterpreted Alpines recommendation.

After calling their tech support they confirmed, what you all told me.

2x2 Ohms serial.

So, i know now, what to do.

And i accept, that the best thing for the amp is 4Ohms bridged.

But is still don't understand. Let me extend the question, assuming i would use two subs.

I could achieve the 4 Ohms for the amp by either putting 2 4 Ohm Subs in a row with their dual voice coil in parallel.

Or i could achieve the 4 Ohms by putting 2 4 Ohm Subs in parallel with their dual voice coils in a row.

Is there any reason to prefer one or the other solution?

These amps have regulated power supplies so it's not going to matter. It puts out the same power at 2 ohms and 4 ohms. Choice is up to you. If you plan to upgrade the amp in the future, realize that whatever you get now will have to match the same impedence at the power you are trying to achieve.

For wiring, just bridge it onto one of the amps channels. Out of curiosity, why not get a 1.600 or 1.1000? Why use a 4 channel?

Either coil config would be fine and you'd wire the coils in series (not serial) with either to a bridged channel pair. The power would be the same either way. Running the D4 wired to 8 ohms would be the most efficient since there would be less current through the outputs. The amp won't like being bridged to 2 ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.