2 ohm or 4 ohm sub with correct amp?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Johnnymaaaac

I don't want to spend alot of money (preferrably no more than 500 if possible). I also don't want bass so loud that I can't hear my music. I want real good, hard hitting bass with audiophile sound quality.. highs mids. But I understand 500 might not get me the best. so help me out with advice... I need to know how to match a sub (watts, ohm, rms) with the right amp. Will a 400 watt sub and amp be enough for good bass? I also need two 4 inch speakers in the front... and I'm thinking of putting some type of component speakers in the back (with the sub in the trunk, I have a 1991 Jetta). I hear that 4 gauge wire is what I want also. Should I also be picky on what type of head unit I should get? I posted a thread a week or so ago, but this is a little more detailed. Thanks guys!

I recommend getting what your budget allows.So many HU these days that you will just have to choose what best suites your needs and what functions desired.Yet,400 watts is pretty decent power for a subwoofer,and if the box is built properly for that sub,to get the most out of it??A 100watt old school amp can be a suffecient amount of supply for a 600rms subwoofer,for example: a 100 watt HifonicsCyclops mono amplifier ran at 2ohms for say like an RE sx 10in 600rms dvc 4ohm sub with approx a 1.4-1.6cuft ported/tuned box will sound very nice for the power that you are requiring about..Some even look into the Bazooka Bass Tubes due to the light weight,already tuned/ported,and easy to install,ready to power up,and use,and saving some space/time compared to box.I recommend looking to good old school amps/used for money saving options,without lacking performance for the bang for your buck.4ga wiring IMO is the minimum wiring/supply id use for amps..Its safe due to upgrading needs/wants.Keep in mind..bigger isnt always better..Its how it is installed and with the components used utilizing the space provided as well.I have a 150 watt old school amp,and a new 1800 watt amp,and the 150 seems to out perform(200$)10x12x1.9, my 1800watt amp 24x18x2.5/or rt at,but richer/deeper sound(900$)amp???Go figure??

try looking for some 10s that will take 800 to 1000 for the pair and a amp with a bass knob,so that you can turn the bass were you need it ,next question is are you going to amp the doors and the rear deck speakers.as for decks i like the pioneers ,easy to use and navigate thru,4 volt pre outs too. dont know if i would run comps in the rear ,in the frt doors yes

try looking for some 10s that will take 800 to 1000 for the pair and a amp with a bass knob,so that you can turn the bass were you need it ,next question is are you going to amp the doors and the rear deck speakers.as for decks i like the pioneers ,easy to use and navigate thru,4 volt pre outs too. dont know if i would run comps in the rear ,in the frt doors yes

I don't want to spend alot of money (preferrably no more than 500 if possible). I also don't want bass so loud that I can't hear my music. I want real good, hard hitting bass with audiophile sound quality.. highs mids. But I understand 500 might not get me the best. so help me out with advice... I need to know how to match a sub (watts, ohm, rms) with the right amp. Will a 400 watt sub and amp be enough for good bass? I also need two 4 inch speakers in the front... and I'm thinking of putting some type of component speakers in the back (with the sub in the trunk, I have a 1991 Jetta). I hear that 4 gauge wire is what I want also. Should I also be picky on what type of head unit I should get? I posted a thread a week or so ago, but this is a little more detailed. Thanks guys!
I'd look for a sealed sub, I'd take a close look at an SSA Dcon 12" single 4ohm sub. DCON-12 S4 They are about 125 new. Then try to find a 4 channel amp here is one: Aura RPM4200 RPM Stage 2 Mobile Amplifier 4x50W 269-190 Bridge two of the channels to the sub. And run the other two to the front speakers. Btw, here are some cheap 4" speakers that should sound good, and if they don't you're not out much! Aura 4000RPM 4" 2-way Coaxial Speaker Pair 269-178

If you find that you want more power then you can buy a bigger sub amp later, and use the four channel amp on the rear speakers also.

Don't bother with components in the back. Unless you like having your back to the music! LOL.

total is 250 plus shipping for the sub and a wiring kit. Do use a 4 gauge kit BTW. These things have a way of growing on you. Replacing the wires every time you upgrade is a pain.

Oh I forgot a box for the sub. Can you build it?

Duane

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.