2 channel wiring??

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ok, so I’m trying to help my friend wire her car… she has a 2 channel amp and a 4ohm dvc sub…. Would this be the right way to wire it to 2 ohms?
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1-DVC-4-ohm-2-ch-low-imp.jpg
That is the correct way to wire it to 2 ohms, but I doubt her amplifier is stable to 2 ohms bridged (as that would mean it would need to be 1ohm stable in stereo mode, which most class A/B's are not). Verify the amp's lowest stable ohm load before wiring her system up that way, because if my assumption above is correct, damage could and probably would occur to the amplifier.

^^what he said. most two channel amps are not 2 ohm bridged stable. when hooking a sub up to a two channel amp, it is best to get a dual 2 ohm or single 4 ohm sub.

OK thanks guys for all your help... So what would be the best way to wire this thing? would it have to be 8ohms?
You can wire the sub to 8ohms, and bridge the amp mono. Or you can sum the signal to the amp, and run it stereo with one channel to each coil. The amp will view either setup exactly the same, since bridging the amp simply means each channel shares half the mono load.

In my opinion, it's best to return or sell the subwoofer and buy a 4ohm SVC or 2ohm DVC sub. If you don't want to do this, I think running amp bridged with sub wired for 8 ohm load should work fine, as long as the amp has enough power to achieve the desired volume without sending clipped signal. Note that, if you wire your sub for 8ohms, your amp's bridged rating effectively drops by half.

How many ohms would that be if I did one per channel? Again its 4ohms dvc
I already explained that in my previous reply. Wiring one coil to each channel, or bridging the amp and wiring the coils in series will result in the same load to each channel of the amplifier... 4 ohms.

No problemo. Let me/us know if there is anything more we can do to help. And oh yeah, I hope you get a piece of ass out of helping this 'friend'. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.