2 Boston G5 : not loud enough

If I understand correctly, it seems the OP wants better low end response.

I had a single G5 in the sealed box with a radiator made by Boston, and I didn't like the low end response, it just wasn't there.

teamquakecelica : What???? You mean 800wrms per sub? Aren't they rated 450wrms EACH ????

I knew sealed could take alot power but twice the rms rating is that it????

In fact I might well be confused between amp clipping and sub reaching his limit... I think I pretty well know the difference for speakers but for subs it's a little harder...

Regarding enclosure, someone told me I would not get a lot more bass with 2 subs sealed than with 1 sub ported.. What do you think???

Cuz the first reason why I asked the guy to build a sealed enclosure is that I was told the bass would be more tight. What I want from my subs is to KICK hard. I don't care about the underlying hiphop long bass notes that make you deaf - I find it's too boomy. What I want is the kick on your chest you have in nightclubs as in hiphop/house/techno music. I THINK this kick is very low (30hz) so that's why I told you guys I wanted the very low notes...

Other people told me I would need 10'' subs, but I can't understand why 12'' wouldn't be able to do what 10'' do...

Now who's right? Do I need ported/sealed/12''/10''/midbass/subbass/?????

Pretty much confused right now hahah..

Thanks though for all the replies so far.

Yeah but that also means throwing away my custom dual G5 sealed enclosure which cost me 300$...

I just want to be *sure* it's really an ported enclosure that would yield the results I want //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif And right now I'm not hahah

Yeah but that also means throwing away my custom dual G5 sealed enclosure which cost me 300$...
I just want to be *sure* it's really an ported enclosure that would yield the results I want //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif And right now I'm not hahah
Don't ask people's opinion and then argue with it. We've all told you to go ported. That's the solution. If you don't want to do it, then learn to like what you have.

teamquakecelica : What???? You mean 800wrms per sub? Aren't they rated 450wrms EACH ????

In fact I might well be confused between amp clipping and sub reaching his limit... I think I pretty well know the difference for speakers but for subs it's a little harder...

Regarding enclosure, someone told me I would not get a lot more bass with 2 subs sealed than with 1 sub ported.. What do you think???

Cuz the first reason why I asked the guy to build a sealed enclosure is that I was told the bass would be more tight. What I want from my subs is to KICK hard. I don't care about the underlying hiphop long bass notes that make you deaf - I find it's too boomy. What I want is the kick on your chest you have in nightclubs as in hiphop/house/techno music. I THINK this kick is very low (30hz) so that's why I told you guys I wanted the very low notes...

Other people told me I would need 10'' subs, but I can't understand why 12'' wouldn't be able to do what 10'' do...

the kick you hear in nightclubs is nowhere near 30hz. It's 60hz at the lowest, probably 80 to be honest. Trying to get 30hz at 120 decibels in a big room is a waste of time and money, pro audio doesn't conern itself with anything below 80hz usually, its simply too expensive.

the kick you hear in nightclubs is nowhere near 30hz. It's 60hz at the lowest, probably 80 to be honest. Trying to get 30hz at 120 decibels in a big room is a waste of time and money, pro audio doesn't conern itself with anything below 80hz usually, its simply too expensive.

WOW! I run a single 12 G5. Had a box built with duel ports, box is rather large, that is tuned to 34 htz. I have 600 rms pushing it. It sounds amazing. It does get damm loud too. Very deep lows. I have considered getting another G5, but I gave the new box a month or so, and I am very happy with it. Maybe sometime in the future, and then again, maybe not. They are a great sq woofer. You should have a ported box built, give it some time a see what the results are. I would think 2 G5's would be able to do the job for you. Like others have said, it's in the box build.

Well with the alpine I can already make them distort...
Is a ported box gonna make such a huge difference? Or is it that for the type of bass I want they aren't the good type of subs?

Reviews were quite good of the G5... Barely heard 15'' or 18'' subwoofers yet, are they what I would be looking for? Or maybe more powerful 12''s?
I hope you're talking about an Alpine HU. Don't ever compensate for lower wattage by fucking with the gain knob.

someone telling you that 10's are better for what you need is an idiot, there is no difference between the size of subs when comparing the same models. Bigger subs need bigger enclosures and they have more cone area, therfore they will get louder. 300 dollars on a sealed enclosure? wow...you got the shaft on that deal

Well... Like I said ported would be tight for my 2003 Civic. I think it was like 4 cubes per sub for ported enclosures. 8 cube is a little big now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

@Synyster97XLT : By "alpine" I meant the amp : MRP-850 (850wrms) can make the 2 distort. But then again like I said I *think* it's the subs that distort, but could also be the amp clipping. I'm not really sure what's the difference between amp clipping and speaker having too much excursion when it comes to subwoofers.

I now did try something : I turned off every signal processing/etc. on the headunit and lowered every band except the 50hz one. following what t3mpest said about clubs tuning bass to somewhere near 60hz. I get pretty much what I want but like I said in the beginning there's too much bass that I can *hear*. I can feel it well like that but it's gonna make me deaf very soon. Whereas when I go out in clubs I don't... I can only feel it, and to the ear it's not that loud. That's why I thought that nightclub's bass was lower than what my ears could hear.

Still a bit disappointed by not being able to reproduce that specific bass that you can feel well but that doesn't make you deaf..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.