2 Boston G5 : not loud enough

Well... Like I said ported would be tight for my 2003 Civic. I think it was like 4 cubes per sub for ported enclosures. 8 cube is a little big now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
@Synyster97XLT : By "alpine" I meant the amp : MRP-850 (850wrms) can make the 2 distort. But then again like I said I *think* it's the subs that distort, but could also be the amp clipping. I'm not really sure what's the difference between amp clipping and speaker having too much excursion when it comes to subwoofers.

I now did try something : I turned off every signal processing/etc. on the headunit and lowered every band except the 50hz one. following what t3mpest said about clubs tuning bass to somewhere near 60hz. I get pretty much what I want but like I said in the beginning there's too much bass that I can *hear*. I can feel it well like that but it's gonna make me deaf very soon. Whereas when I go out in clubs I don't... I can only feel it, and to the ear it's not that loud. That's why I thought that nightclub's bass was lower than what my ears could hear.

Still a bit disappointed by not being able to reproduce that specific bass that you can feel well but that doesn't make you deaf..
No you're crazy. 4 cubes per sub? I already told you I ran mine at 2 cubes per sub. They recommend 1 per sub. Stop lying just because you don't want to go ported. You can, you should, end of story.

I now did try something : I turned off every signal processing/etc. on the headunit and lowered every band except the 50hz one. following what t3mpest said about clubs tuning bass to somewhere near 60hz. I get pretty much what I want but like I said in the beginning there's too much bass that I can *hear*. I can feel it well like that but it's gonna make me deaf very soon. Whereas when I go out in clubs I don't... I can only feel it, and to the ear it's not that loud. That's why I thought that nightclub's bass was lower than what my ears could hear.
Well, what does all this tell you? I hope you realized that your satisfaction with the system won't be driven by a change in equipment. Rather, it'll come from tuning. In order for it to happen with any degree of success, you need to take the time to study the subject and then do a lot of listening to correlate what you've learned with what you're hearing.

Well the very reason I didn't try the 50 hz band that much is that it's so "boomy" to my ears that I didn't even bother trying it out extensively.

I think you're in part right FJF : it might be a matter of tuning, and a matter of "bass in a car behaves that way". Not too sure about the last one though...

Maybe they also have some kind of compressors/limiters/exciters combination in clubs that make the bass be this way. I just hoped I wasn't the only one wanting that type of "felt" bass and that people could direct me out a bit.

At least now I know that this bass isn't lower than 60hz, and with my equipment I can make me deaf if I tune it to higher than 60hz. So like you said, it's not the equipment which is the problem.

Keep in mind, too, that a club is a much larger space where the bass propagates, if you will, differently. In a car, outside of spacial constraints, you're also dealing with an ambient noise level that must be overcome by the system in an effort to reach your ears. This isn't to say that you won't be able to get the sound you're looking for, but it will take some work. The task is simplified, to a degree, by you knowing what you want to hear. Good luck.

Yeah.. Anyway I'm gonna put CLD tiles + CCF + MLV insulation all over the car and then see what does that 50hz band "looks like".

We'll see !!

Thx FJF & All others who gave their 2 cents.

Okay I know the grills aren't the most beautiful ones but I don't freakin care about appearance honestly. I only care about what it sounds.

Made with 3/4 MDF if I recall well.

dscf0111a.jpg

dscf0115d.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.