2 amps vs 1

globalminds_ent
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
oxford ms
Wanna know what you think about running two smaller amps over one big amp? I know setting Gains can be a hassle but i mean once you do it it's done right?? Maybe there Is more factors but I've always ran 1 amp. Just lookin for basic info and past experiences

I think it's fine, especially if they're strappable. And for the budget constrained basshead (pretty much all of us), strappable amps are a perfect way to phase into doubling the sub stage with a minimum of effort.

Another thing to consider in smaller builds is that two small amps will have double the power inputs of a moderate sized amp with double the power output so.... efficiency is often better.

2 smaller amps will give you more power than the same rms rating of a bigger amp. In other words you'll get more from a pair of 2500 rms amps than a single 5000 watt amp

Thanks people great answers i think ill try this two amp thing, never did strapped only problem is that you have to wire at two ohms with most right??? Subs are dual 2s. Thinking of two apsm2ks yes i know ap is not the greatest company, but right now I've been bassless for a couple months. my money Is really being invested elsewhere. So this setup will be temporary, or i might not do it at all just weighing the possibilities. Maybe two ppi 1300s?, are the apsm's really that bad?

Some times strapping amps can help counter act box rise and some times wiring low is better really there is no guarantee one way is better than the other without testing
interesting can you explain more about the rise portion im strapping 2 2500.1s this year its new to me

All electromechanical transducers suffer from impedance rise... whether they're in a box or not.

The box can change the characteristics of the impedance rise but it cannot remove it.

All electromechanical transducers suffer from impedance rise... whether they're in a box or not.
The box can change the characteristics of the impedance rise but it cannot remove it.
Correct but depending on the rise of the box you may wire both subs together and rise 2ohm but separate they may rise 2ohm each. Really its install dependent. Somestimes two smaller amps equal more power depends on the amps being compared.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.