2 10" Sundown SA classics

Participant count
  • Participants list

Dafaseles

CarAudio.com Exclusive
I have 2 10" SA classics I'm building an enclosure for. I want them down firing. I'm not too familiar with these subs. How much space would you all leave between the baffle and the floor? I want to get them as close as possible without them smacking the floor of the cab. I'm just simply mounting them to the baffle. No kind of flush mounting at all.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 10" SA classics I'm building an enclosure for. I want them down firing. I'm not too familiar with these subs. How much space would you all leave between the baffle and the floor? I want to get them as close as possible without them smacking the floor of the cab. I'm just simply mounting them to the baffle. No kind of flush mounting at all.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

At least 1inch from the top of the surround,they are 23mm of xmax. 25mm is 1inch that would be from the cone not the surround but the extra 1/2 inch from the surround gives you some wiggle room since they can definitely excurt more than 23mm just with less linearity.

Just with how low profile the box is.
Is there a reason you want them close to the floor as possible?

2" should be plenty But I'd be happier with 3"
I want to get out as close as possible just for fitment in a small space. It's an under the seat truck box without a seat lift. Dude cut the hooks in the back of the seat hella short, so we can't lift the seat. These subs are probably too big, but he's an idiot, so I'm going to shoe horn them in there. I need 6" not counting the pole vent, and I have about 9". He's p*ss*ng me off though. I should just cover the vent 🤣

At least 1inch from the top of the surround,they are 23mm of xmax. 25mm is 1inch that would be from the cone not the surround but the extra 1/2 inch from the surround gives you some wiggle room since they can definitely excurt more than 23mm just with less linearity.
It'll be a sealed enclosure, so they'll have that added suspension help. So you think I'll be good if I go half an inch from the surround? That'll help quite a bit. Even the quarters will be a huge help.

It'll be a sealed enclosure, so they'll have that added suspension help. So you think I'll be good if I go half an inch from the surround? That'll help quite a bit. Even the quarters will be a huge help.

I think that's starting to rub the surround on the floor during high xmax events. But it should work. You can't even do 1/2 inch spacers under the seat brackets. You should be able to use factory bolts.

Btw the lmi welding seat lifts come with longer hooks in most cases and should bolt up to his short hooks even if you have to drill new bolt holes on the hooks that would solve that issue entirely. I had 2.5inch lmi lift with 1/2 inch steel bar under that and could front fire 10s ported at 3cubes at 36hz with dual 4inch aeros
PXL_20220711_195328242.MP.jpg

I think that's starting to rub the surround on the floor during high xmax events. But it should work. You can't even do 1/2 inch spacers under the seat brackets. You should be able to use factory bolts.

Btw the lmi welding seat lifts come with longer hooks in most cases and should bolt up to his short hooks even if you have to drill new bolt holes on the hooks that would solve that issue entirely. I had 2.5inch lmi lift with 1/2 inch steel bar under that and could front fire 10s ported at 3cubes at 36hz with dual 4inch aerosView attachment 44143
That's a dope box!
LMI welding seat lifts, I'll have to look into them. If he can just bolt up some longer hooks, yeah, that would solve a ton of problems. Thank you!

I looked. The earliest they have is '07 and how truck is an '06 Silverado extended cab (the third, hide away doors).

Last edited:
Down firing subs need sufficient skirt area to load properly with the floor and allow air movement. This consideration is often used when designing for home theater.

Those that are interested can google skirt area if they wish to learn more.

Here is a simple calculation for minimum distance that I saw on AVS Forum.

(Diameter of driver / 4 ) plus xmax.

12inch sub / 4 with 12.5mm xmax would need a minimum distance of 3.5 inches.

There is more to it than that but that will at least get you in the ball park.

Home audio techniques often get thrown out of the window with the car audio environment. Cabin gain and vehicle reflections wreak havoc on predicted frequency response
Down firing subs need sufficient skirt area to load properly with the floor and allow air movement. This consideration is often used when designing for home theater.

Those that are interested can google skirt area if they wish to learn more.

Here is a simple calculation for minimum distance that I saw on AVS Forum.

(Diameter of driver / 4 ) plus xmax.

12inch sub / 4 with 12.5mm xmax would need a minimum distance of 3.5 inches.

There is more to it than that but that will at least get you in the ball park.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...