2.0^3@33......any help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

richie92ex
10+ year member

Ocala,FL
Im trying to build a box for a RE SEx 12 d2. If any of you box savy guys can hep me with a design that would be awesome. I'd like it to be per RE specs (2.0^3@ 33 unless anyone thinks I should do something different. I have 30" of width and 15" of height to work with. the depth can change. I would like to make the box with as much port surface area as possible as I have come to understand that that reduces port noise, and aids in better SQ. Thanks in advance for any help.

More port area does not aid in SQ, in fact it may worsen it dramatically. I would try to do around 24-30sqin of port area for a 2cuft net box. But really I would do an aero because it would be a little easier to tune to 33hz than with a slot port bc a slot would have to be fairly long.

Dude, I would not do that box. That is no where near enough port area to make the most from that sub, you will be disappointed. That is only 12 sqin of port area and you should have somewhere around 37 for that enclosure. If you are trying to get loud at all I would put at least two 4"ers in there and that truely is a bit on the small side, everyone thinks you can have half the port area for Aeros, but I have done both many times and you need around 3/4 minimum Aero port VS Slot and you are still a bit short with two. If you plan on doing this, do yourself a favor and use two, it will sound MUCH better, more port area = more sound, almost always...to a point. and as for the SQ thing, if that is what you are going for you should use a sealed box, ported offers virtually no SQ as it creates peaks in the sound where the box is tuned to, they are not linear, that's why we use them so they get louder where we want it!

Wow.....really?? First of all, just because a box is ported doesn't mean that it has a peaky response and where the hell are you getting 37sqin of port for a 2cuft net box? Yes if you are going for all out SPL then do a huge port, however this will definitely lead to a huge peak in your frequency response which from the OP it doesn't seem that he wants.

I just want a tasteful sounding ported box. I dont need it to be an all out spl machine- I mean hell were talking (1) 12", but I want it to have decent SQ while having a little boom - this way it will sound good and show my boy with 3 xplode 12's that they ****- nothing against sony guys. Another question- While RE says "optimal is 2.0^3 @ 33, I might ask optimal for what? Whats there philosophy on tuning? boom or smooth? I guess I just need some lessons on how to use winISD.

Sx's are daily beater subs so the box is modeled for just that. It will have a slight peak beginning around 30 and dropping off around 50ish. Don't use two 4" aeros otherwise the peak will be higher about 5hz above the tuning freq but it will begin to rolloff much sooner than just one.

Wow.....really?? First of all, just because a box is ported doesn't mean that it has a peaky response and where the hell are you getting 37sqin of port for a 2cuft net box? Yes if you are going for all out SPL then do a huge port, however this will definitely lead to a huge peak in your frequency response which from the OP it doesn't seem that he wants.

Its a known fact that the DD port area calc works and works well, and I did not know the displacement so I used the net volume of the box you described or 2.33CF to get close. I understand you might loose a bit of accuracy but to the average listener, you won't even know its gone, because it will hit like you never knew it could. Now if you are doing SQ comps then I would certainly use a sealed box. And I understand that you can get a ported box to be "peaky" in a low enough range that you will not by the ear really notice it by tuning it really low, but I also know that if you don't care about that then you will likely not notice it with a larger port area either.

Plus he plainly said he want higher output? To each his own, I am just trying to help the guy out. I have and continue to build MANY boxes, Probably more than one a month so I guess you can take that for whatever its worth. I am not trying to prove anyone wrong, just trying to give the guy what it seemed he wanted..

Oh boy, dont sweat this crap guys, Im just a noob. But as far as what i want- like i said, loud with taste, accurate enough for me to listen to whatever, but loud enough to impress- thats it. Now if i cant have a little SPL & SQL like a 50/50 split of both worlds I guess I should have bought a better sub. But for now, its the RE seX. I thought it would be an ok beginner sub, hell it was cheap. Then again, Im new to all of this.....that's were seasoned car audio folks like avid members here come in to steer me right. Thanks for all of the imput so far, I just dont want a BS system, I want it to be somewhat nice for what Im working with. And another thing, I probly wont know it its just a little peaky-just a little, I just want to hear the low stuff too. It would be cool to set it up to wow people playing oh, idk jezzy hypnotize while acting right listening to say steely dan if that makes sense.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.