1st post - new stereo concept/blueprint

DerekTX

Tejas
i have an 07 base model pontiac grand prix. it has the monsoon system in it, but it's not to impressive. the treble is way to screechy and piercing. the midrange is focused to much in the high-mid and sounds pretty thin, then there's the general lack of bass. some music sounds good, some sounds terrible.

as of right now, my plan is to replace the HU, add an amp and subs (i'll get more specific later).

question one; should i change out ALL of the speakers, and not just the HU? is the piercing treble due too the HU, or the speakers? will replacing the HU help? or is it only curable after a total overhaul?

question two; speaking of head units, where should i start? things i want from it are:

reasonable price - about $200

aux input, or usb.

play any cd: audio, mp3, and data.

compatible with steering wheel controls.

red lights.

and here are some that i've found that fit these (feedback please):

A) Kenwood KDC-MP438U CD receiver at Crutchfield Outlet - http://outlet.crutchfield.com/p_613MP438U/Kenwood-KDC-MP438U-Factory-Refurbished.html?cc=01&tp=5684

B) Pioneer Premier DEH-P310UB CD receiver at Crutchfield.com - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P310UB/Pioneer-Premier-DEH-P310UB.html?tp=5684

C) Pioneer DEH-P4100UB CD receiver at Crutchfield.com - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P4100UB/Pioneer-DEH-P4100UB.html?tp=5684

also, is the larger size of the stock head unit a problem (it's the double stacked kind)? and can i still use the six disc changer?

Question 3; amps and subs. i wanted to go with the pioneer shallow mount subs so i could keep them in the cab (under the rear seats?), because i'm told that the quality is better that way as apposed to in the trunk. i also have two friends with systems, one in the trunk one in the cab of his truck, and the friend with the subs in his truck cabin's system sounds better, imo, despite costing half as much. but this could be due to other variables.

i really have no idea on an amp, wouldn't it be better to stay with pioneer? nor do i know what are good numbers, wattage wise, or anything really.

subs:

A) Pioneer TS-SW3041D Shallow-mount 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSS3041/Pioneer-TS-SW3041D.html?tp=111

B) Pioneer Premier TS-SW1201S4 Shallow-mount 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130W1201S4/Pioneer-Premier-TS-SW1201S4.html?tp=111

if it's not possible to get speakers to fit in the cab on my car, what should i look at for the trunk?

i want to try and keep it under a grand if at all possible.

thanks

Hu - the ones you put up there should be fine...Get a name brand and you are fine...alpine, kenwood, pioneer..will probably have to get an adapter plate for the new hu ....if its a factory changer you prolly wont be able to find a hu to control it so its out..

Replace front speakers with a good comp set..dont worry about the rears..with good comps up front you wont need them

Heard nothing but bad things about the pioneer shallow mount subs...basically the genereal concensis is that pioneer makes HU's and they should stay away from all other car audio...lol

i wouldnt worry too much about keeping the speakers inside the cab of the car...you can get a really nice sound threw the trunk and there really isnt anywhere to mount the subs...even shallow mounts arent going under the rear seats i wouldnt think

i assume since you are looking at the shallow mount pioneers you arent looking to flex the windows on your car, so for subs and amps i would go with a couple of 8's REaudio ,Digital Designs, Sundown..and an amp to match the subs rms capability.

ok, thanks.

so, replacing the five up front would be a good idea, but the 6x9's in the back are alright?

if i can't mount the subs inside the cab, then i might as well get a full size setup in the trunk. what would you recommend for that? out of the ones you've listed i've only heard of digital designs, and the only dealer around here closed, and i'm told you can't get them any other way except through a certified dealer.

what does flex the windows mean?

(sorry for the newbie questions and such.)

I own an 07 grand prix myself with the monsoon. Even shallow mount subs will not go under those seats. Whatever subs you want, put them in the trunk, they will carry through. Type of subs depends on what type of music, how big a box you want, and how much you want to spend. Bigger subs=more power needed. Components speakers in the doors would eliminate most of your problem, but you would probably have to lose that speaker in the dash. If you want to keep it simple, get a new HU, a 5 channel amp, rewire the doors and 6x9's to the amp and a single sub should produce a reasonable all around sound. It wont win any SPL contests, but should sound okay depending on the speakers you get and the amp that you use. Just an opinion. Good Luck!!!

^ hey thanks a lot.

where should i look in terms of subs and speakers? all alpine seems simple enough.

what sub size would be better for metal? 10'' or 12''? and one's enough? cool, that'll cut a couple hundred of the final tally.

Alpine is one of the few choices you cant go wrong with....get some alpine components and a couple of type R or Type E subs if you are more into sound quality.

go with 12 type E subs in about a 1.5 cubes per sub sealed, if you are into metal.. Send about 250 rms each to them and they will sound awesome.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.