1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alphafrog1
10+ year member

PURDUE!!!!
Does anyone own a 1996 chevy cavalier that would be able to help me figure out how to install a cd player in it? I am putting one in my girlfriend's car and would like to know what the easiest way to take out the stock radio and put in a new aftermarket head unit was. If anyone has done one of these before or has this car, would you be able to help me out?

Thanks,

Mark

i remeber i installed a radio in that car a few years ago. i can't fully remember how i got the radio out, but i remember it was fairly easy. just remove the front fascia and you'll be able to acess the stock radio. as for installing a new radio, if i remember correctly, i got a bezel from partsexpress. the bezel allows an aftermarket hu to fit like a stock radio. after you mount the bezel, the aftermarket hu slides in. to make the wiring process easy, you can get a wire harness that will connect your new hu to the stock harness.

man i had a 98cavi, had to rip the entire dash apart, literally, started with screws o the side took off the front dash part, then the part by the steering wheel, n i think i had to remove the glove compartment to get to some screws that were holding down the dash, i hated it lol

The entire top of the dash comes off first, then the front of the dash.

Start with the vent on the top center, one screw holds it down. Remove the screw and pry it up. When it's out, there's two screws under it that need to come out.

Then pull off the panels on each end of the dash, that you can access when the doors are open. One screw under each needs to come out.

Then open the glove box. Three screws need to come out, just above the glove box opening in front. After that, look into the glove box and you should see a recess with two brass screws deep inside. Both of those need to come out.

Pull carefully up on the dash top over the instrument cluster to release the pressure clips. Once these are free, you should be able to pull the top of the dash out. Be careful because the passenger air bag will be exposed.

Then there are three screws on top holding down the front dash panel, which were previously covered by the panel you just removed.

After those screws are gone, carefully pull out on the dash panel right around the radio. It's held down by pressure clips. After these are loose, do the same around the edge of the entire panel to free it entirely.

For most of the screws, you'll need a 7mm or 9/32" socket.

i remeber i installed a radio in that car a few years ago. i can't fully remember how i got the radio out, but i remember it was fairly easy. just remove the front fascia and you'll be able to acess the stock radio. as for installing a new radio, if i remember correctly, i got a bezel from partsexpress. the bezel allows an aftermarket hu to fit like a stock radio. after you mount the bezel, the aftermarket hu slides in. to make the wiring process easy, you can get a wire harness that will connect your new hu to the stock harness.

Would Best Buy or Circuit city sell a bezel? I would like to have this thing installed by saturday.

And thanks everyone for your help

if you have the electroncs store called fry's around your area, they have them there. if not, your local car audio shop will most likely have one. but they are going to charge a lot more than what you can get it for some where else.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.