1987 Audi Quattro - CD/Receiver suggestions?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I just picked up an Audi Quattro (1987) that has the stock cassette/receiver. I'm completely new to car audio (2 channel & Home Theater are my thing) and was wondering if there are sites or charts that list what CD/Receivers will fit in this car. I'd also like suggestions in the 200 to 400 dollar price range. I'm thinking Pioneer, but am open to suggestions. I'll attack the speakers at a later time.

I don't want really loud, boomy crap. I'd like a very "natural" sounding setup, one that isn't bright/harsh sounding (if that helps), has good mids, and decent bass.

Thanks in advance.

Id go for alpine...they have extreamly nice cd players and all that. plus you can fine-tune them to your needs. they have features-galore.

Originally posted by mattj Id go for alpine...they have extreamly nice cd players and all that. plus you can fine-tune them to your needs. they have features-galore.
Thanks for the reply. I've heard good thing about Alpine. How can I tell if the unit (whichever one I choose) will fit in my Audi ?

Originally posted by Iguana Man Thanks, I notice you too have an Alpine. Is that the unit of choice over here ?
I prefer Alpine, I think the forum is pretty much split between Alpine and Pioneer, and some Eclipse. I've heard the top Premier lines and top Alpine lines of decks, and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I just spoke to a friend who I forgot deals/installs car audio. He suggested the...... Alpine CDA-7894 ! He also said he felt the Pioneer Premier stuff was "gadgety", but still good......just not as good as Alpine in his opinion.

He's offering me the CDA-7894 for $299.00. Is that a fair price ?

Oh, one last question. How about marine audio. Who makes the nicer marine cd/receivers & speakers out there?

Thanks again.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.